Anyone considering starting a business should give some very serious thought to having a baby instead. The advantages of having a baby couldn't be possibly overstated, in that comparison. To wit :
- You can only have a baby with a woman. Women make exceptional partners in most circumstances - they are physically more resilient than men, they have better stress tolerance and higher pain thresholds, they live longer and actually need less to be happy. In the case of the business at hand however, they have (unlike the vast majority of partners you will ever enjoy) both exceptional motivation and exceptional advantages. Rarely will you hear of a woman that abandoned her child to be a circus dancer instead. Quite often will you hear of partners that abandoned their business to go back to teaching (the rough equivalent of a circus dancer all things considered). Rarely will you find a partner that can literally breastfeed your business. Most women can and do this - and the baby visibly benefits from it.
- Starting a baby is actually enjoyable. Starting a business is probably going to be the worst moment of your life, retrospectively. At least until that point when the business fails.
- Most babies survive, and for better or worse grow into actual adults. Most businesses fail. You may not be happy with the eventual result of your having a baby, but unlike the likely result of your starting a business there's at least something there to not be happy with.
- A baby is at least marginally aware of you, and will in most circumstances not simply move on to the highest bidder at any moment such a bidder manifests. There are exceptions, of course, but the very fact that they are exceptions already argues the case : there are no exceptions in the case of businesses.
- If you are intelligent, you have to work to put this into the business. If you are intelligent, you may, if you choose, do some work to put some of it into the child, but whether you do or you don't is highly irrelevant : genetics already took care of it. Nothing illustrates the advantages of having a baby better than this point, really. Most parents are aware that inasfar as transmitting their intellectual value to their offspring, their deliberate efforts are possibly a wash, harming about as much as helping. In the case of businesses, we are stuck with exclusively that avenue, and only for lack of comparison do we blissfully imagine that it works any better.
The only reason that list ends there is that I run out of patience and moreover I don't want to give myself a depression. Otherwise, it is literally endless. If you actually are considering starting a business, you really should consider if having a baby wouldn't better serve your purpose. Most people that do consider it come back with the conclusion that it does serve them better.