In continuation of the ongoing discussion (both on my lord Verschlimmbessert's own blogi and otherwise in the forum more scatteredly directly), it seems to me the implicit downstream dependentsii upon the TMSR-OS artefact would be preciselyiii the following list :
- TRB ; which however can not possibly continue as is, but must be split into an 1.a, wallet manager, which produces signed transactions out of parametrized requests, and an 1.b, more or less equal to today's trb, which is a network listener. Basically there must be a trinque-style human-powered diode introduced between the two parts which the power-rangers' bitcoind notion welds together, deliberately (if disavowedly) to ensure the doom of all things nice and good. It is entirely false that the wallet "needs" the network listener in the absolute, constant and plainly idiotic way which then drags in "must be always online on swiss cheese hardware so USG and it's agents can touch it whenever they feel like". The wallet needs some bits and pieces from the listener now and again, but only upon operator initiation ; nor are they that large or complicated or difficult to safely provide -- the listener providing "signing primitives" for any arbitrary transaction it ever hears is trivial enough to do, and should therefore be done.
- A replacement ircd, together with a replacement irssi or xchat or whatever it is. This'd be the prototype gossipd (and no, none of this is some kind of invention or to any degree novel, the #1 above has been under idle engineertard "discussion" for just as long).
- A-M-P (of LAMP fame), as a general purpose publishing support toolkit, web or otherwise. As discussion brought out, the M could perhaps be swapped out ; the P probably not (not just because python fucking sucks in and of itself, on its own merits ; but also because its community is toxically idiotic beyond any known measure, perhaps outside of wikipedia). This is a large hunk, granted, but it is also not avoidable, and especially not on the basis of spherical chicken arguments issued from beings an engineer.
- Eulora, which is, other than an MMORPG, also an alternative A & P above ; I am not against it being reused that way, and I certainly have been very carefully constructing it in that direction and for many years now ; but that's not to say it's anywhere near there.
- TMSR-PGP, which is a shorthand name for a more complex bundle consisting of the tools needed to hash, to V, to encrypt and decrypt etcetera. It's needed by #1, it's needed for the dev-env, it's needed.
- Some kind or manner of coreutils, because I'm not using a box that can't pipe & tee + sed & awk & grep for anything other than target practice towards the garbage heap ; with these along also some packaging of gcc including a working glibc because from what I hear most nobody will same-as-above on a box that can't reproduce its bytecode from sourcecode.
That's it and that's all, the legitimate and for that reason possible-in-the-future uses for a computer definitively enumerated : you can publish with it, you can hack with it, and that's the fuck it with it already! You can't pantsuit with it, nor should you.iv
On to the rather burning question of graphical interface as oft construed : #4 practically needs it, even if "not necessarily" ; that I'm all for some people, sometime, somewhere making themselves a text-only client, I'm just as all for my using links as a web browser when I'm too curmudgeony to simply curl pipe grep, aite ? Then its presence there probably drags it in somewhere for 3 in some aspect, because what am I going to do with all these Trilema headers, throw them out ?v and from there on it spreads, because, again, I've been playing vidya on my motorcycle with a 32 inch curved monitor attached, all the everything set to maximum and yes, virtual worlds look good these days. What "throw it out" ?!
We came to use Bitcoin and we ended up redesigning computing because what the fuck already, why is everything so broken everywhichway anyway!———
- Some thoughts about the situation in TMSR ; Yet more thoughts about TMSR OS: OS-Making Exam-Taking. [↩]
- Yes, this is what a dependency is : things downstream that depend upon whatever it is you're doing ; not vice-fucking-versa, like in the pantsuit dream. [↩]
- Precisely in the sense that the elements may take clarification or refinement, but the list itself is complete, there's no new elements available to be had. [↩]
- Nor do I care if that's all you can, know how to, or want to do. Fuck you. [↩]
- Nobody in the entire world, nobody in lo these many years managed to gather a collection that can even vaguely compare to that artefact of finest human cognition, what the fuck "throw it out". I'd rather throw out computing. [↩]