Principally for lack of alternative anonimity has been the historical state of the human race. Universal, seemingly perpetual as all doomed circumstances are wont to seem, anonimity bathed like a great sea of air each and every featherless bipedal animal (possesed of flat nailsi).
The first challenge came, of course, from women. This was unavoidable, as the coy behaviour wouldn't work very well if it didn't proceed on identified recipients or if it didn't save state (which is incidentally why the statelesness conventionii is so easily adopted in comic books and their derived formsiii : all this is male entertainment, and males don't need or want to save state - it reminds them too much of death for comfort). This challenge organised itself in and around the cutting edge of innovation at the time, the agrarian settlement, it created the nameiv which remains in use to this day and a certain style of society which also remains in use to this day, principally and most visibly in the Middle East (which includes the Jews, and thus a good chunk of that hapless cultural vacuum sandwiched between Hudson Bay and the Gulf of Mexico).
The boastful announcement of the early Greeksv as to how πολιτικὸν ὁ ἄνθρωποςvi on the grounds of simply "having a voice" (later recycled by French postmodernism into simply "having a face") is of course exactly what you'd expect learned elites to do, as that's what learned elites are for : misrepresent the dire necessity of politics into adequately digested terms of metaphysics. Consider the more recent example of the "science" of global warming : no such science exists. This is a fact. On the other hand, the current situation where people without any merit or justification continue to expend resources they should not really have access to is untenable. This is also a fact. Pseudo science of "global warming" thus becomes a political imperative, and as the weasels involved well know, it's never the scientifically apt that become "famous", but always the politically convenient. If you're curious to find the genius of Aristotle you're well advised to stop looking towards the skyvii.
The second challenge came, unexpectedly, from the church. The original, main, central, essential and might as well have been only selling point of the early Christians was simply this fairy tale : that someone somewhere has your number. That someone somewhere is keeping score. The implication is that all effort, toil, suffering and struggle are not in vain : even if they produce not one ounce of difference down on Earth (as they never will, as they never could) nevertheless they do produce grand celestial movements of the Heavenly Abbacus beads.
This challenge organised itself around the cutting edge of technology at the time, ie, writing, it created the stateviii, which remains in use to this day, and a certain style of society which also remains in use to this day, principally in the old Roman provinces of the Westix.
A seductive theory, is it not ? It is indeed, and the flock flocked. Which part of it ? Why... the women. Of course. The women, instinctually, and with them they who would rule, and soon enough the learned elites were explaining how there's no possiblity of anything good outside of God. Why not ?
The third and final challenge comes straight from technology. By now we've expanded the scientific method to such degree we're keeping track of individual atoms in graphene, why wouldn't we be keeping track of individuals ? Who'd imagine even for a second we wouldn't ? We couldn't eschew it if we wanted to. Consider :
BREAKING: HALF OF TOR SITES COMPROMISED, INCLUDING TORMAIL
In a crackdown that FBI claims to be about hunting down pedophiles, half of the onion sites in the TOR network has been compromised, including the e-mail counterpart of TOR deep web, TORmail. This is undoubtedly a big blow to the TOR community, Crypto Anarchists, and more generally, to Internet anonymity. All of this happening during DEFCON. If you happen to use and account name and or password combinations that you have re used in the TOR deep web, change them NOW.
Eric Eoin Marques who was arrested runs a company called Host Ultra Limited. A few days ago there were mass outages of Tor hidden services that predominantly effected Freedom Hosting websites.
What the exploit does:
This challenge organises itself around the cutting edge of technology, the Internet, and it might produce something or the other but it's not quite clear what that'd be yet. Perhaps doom.x
How is this all sold ? Why, on the grounds of fighting child pornography, of course, which is perhaps the one point of true female interest now that they're allowed to have abortions.
In the end : could you afford to rape, in the old days, or were you prevailed upon to marry by strength of necessity ? Could you afford to stay out of Church if you didn't feel like going, or did you end up there every Sunday ? Can you splurge on better solutions than Firefox and Tormail ? Did you ? Because if you couldn't and didn't... well my friend. Anonimity is not for the poor.
What exactly it means to be poor is however left as an exercise to the reader. What you find may surprise you. Of course.———
- Incidentally, do you know how this little paranthesis came to be added to the lofty, encyclopedic avant la lettre definition ? [↩]
- Ie, no matter how utterly Popeye wrecks the place he still has a "normal" place to live the next episode [↩]
- Such as, for instance, the sit com. [↩]
- Which, tellingly, worked in from the beginning and still works to this day around the sole point of interest for women : birth. Notwithstanding attempts at subversion through the nickname, which would follow the individual for what rather than whose he is and which never managed to count for more than the lake counts in the sea, names are fundamentally definitions of the person on the pattern "sired by X [out of Y], sired by K [out of J]" etc. The straight paranthesis isn't there to breach the discretion of the female letters by making them explicit, incidentally. There's no discretion at work, there's simply not the need to be explicit. After all they're not fighting themselves. Just a little meta-coyness, pretend like "son of John of James of John of Fred" or "Johnson" are saying anything but "pussywhipped from birth". [↩]
- You think "Aristotle said that" and you're wrong, in the sense that you proceed anachronically, much like your countrymen dress up in sheets and imagine a bunch of cowboys now pass for ancient Romans. In point of fact identity worked differently at the time for the purpose of scientific research, and if you're curious to get a better idea of exactly how you might read up on what exactly it meant for a theorem to have been discovered "by Pythagoras". [↩]
- Which, amusingly, you've come to translate as "social", which is, of course, very telling, as all mistakes ever are. The actual snippet is Aristot. Pol. 1.1253a :
διότι δὲ πολιτικὸν ὁ ἄνθρωπος ζῷον πάσης μελίττης καὶ παντὸς ἀγελαίου ζῴου μᾶλλον, δῆλον. οὐθὲν γάρ, ὡς φαμέν, μάτην ἡ φύσις ποιεῖ: λόγον δὲ μόνον ἄνθρωπος ἔχει τῶν ζῴων: ἡ μὲν οὖν φωνὴ τοῦ λυπηροῦ καὶ ἡδέος ἐστὶ σημεῖον, διὸ καὶ τοῖς ἄλλοις ὑπάρχει ζῴοις (μέχρι γὰρ τούτου ἡ φύσις αὐτῶν ἐλήλυθε, τοῦ ἔχειν αἴσθησιν λυπηροῦ καὶ ἡδέος καὶ ταῦτα σημαίνειν ἀλλήλοις), ὁ δὲ λόγος ἐπὶ τῷ δηλοῦν ἐστι τὸ συμφέρον καὶ τὸ βλαβερόν, ὥστε καὶ τὸ δίκαιον καὶ τὸ ἄδικον: τοῦτο γὰρ πρὸς τὰ ἄλλα ζῷα τοῖς ἀνθρώποις ἴδιον, τὸ μόνον ἀγαθοῦ καὶ κακοῦ καὶ δικαίου καὶ ἀδίκου καὶ τῶν ἄλλων αἴσθησιν ἔχειν: ἡ δὲ τούτων κοινωνία ποιεῖ οἰκίαν καὶ πόλιν.
- There's a good old joke about the Astrologer who fell into a bear trap. His screams for help stirred some villagers, who brought rope and at length extracted him, and also treated him to the helpful observation that it's unlikely he'd know much about things as distant as stars if black holes right under his nose nevertheless still manage to elude him. [↩]
- Indeed if you do your research you might be surprised at the relationship between Cluny (or those other lesser English copies) and bureaucracy. [↩]
- Which includes Latin America but does not include Africa, in spite of the later being closer and the Empires expending much more in terms of resources and effort to mould it into shape. My personal suspicion is that the difference comes from the indigenous stock, in the sense redskins suck at life whereas blackskins do not. [↩]
- It's always "Perhaps doom". [↩]