Let me tell you what I've been up to. But before that, a quote :
KRS|gotyawallet Some chatter already that btc is all over.
mircea_popescu Already ? It's been the talk of the town ever since we started raping the town, back in 2011. It's like... o buttcoins are worthless, o buttcoins aren't useful o buttcoins are a scam etc etc.
KRS|gotyawallet That's true forgot all that it's been good for a while..good point..
ruru Let them panic... my poor buddy sold.. 400+ BTC, got $280k. Then.. guess what. Bought back when BTC rebounded. He got fucked bothways by the market.
ruru Lost around 57 BTC in the process.
mircea_popescu That BTC didn't belong in his hands obviously.
Duffer1 I can empathize with the scammed, but not those on the losing end of speculation.
mircea_popescu Dunno whether speculation or just panic.
ruru It was panic... Dumped @ low 600s, put a bid @ 600.. then, pulled it for some reason. He wasn't at the right state of mind.
mircea_popescu Daytrading without a license.
People ask me just about daily by now, "dude, you're worth whatever, half a million to a full million BTC depending how the stock market is doing that day, how can you stand it ?!?!?!". Well, I'll tell you how I can stand it : I had a dream.
I don't mean when I was a little boy or
retarded inspirational shit like that, I mean just now, before waking up, I had a dream. It wasi something about a hunting party, which I was leading. People were there, not physically recognised, but identified by their... impression, by a feeling, a sort of aura. As often the case is in dreams.
So basically I was leading the #bitcoin-assets channel harpy hunting party. Nobody had even seen a harpy, everyone however was in agreement that I know what I'm doing, and even perhaps that I hunted harpies before. Many times. I believed this too, in my dream, notwithstanding I couldn't recall a case of actually having hunted a harpy in the past. But what is the past to a dream ? I had a clear idea what a harpy looks like, not physically of course, but as an.. impression. A feeling, perhaps like an aura. And we were climbing up these jagged shards of rock in a dimly lit, reddish dusk with billowing thick smoke all around, and you could hear sqweaks and otherworldly cries in the distance.
The explanation is twofold. On one hand if you've ever played Heroes of Might and Magic VI - The Mandate of Heavenii you probably remember the time when you go to get the cleric promotion quests, and this includes going through those snowy peaks with the harpies all over. Those obnoxious squeaky things that CURSE YOU. Here, let me refresh your memory :
Being me I cheated, obviously, and only went there once my three wizardsiii had flight (and half the time I'd only go there once my three wizards had Armageddon - those harpies never knew what hit them!). But if you're one of the people that climbed those mountains on foot... at night and in a snowstorm... well what can I say. I feel for you.
The other hand of the explanation is
Rift is a honest WoW / EQ2 cloneiv. I threw them the ~40 euros you'd throw on a decent new game, after playing it for about a dayv and in exchange they allowed me to learn 7 of the 9 professionsvi and to access their Auction Housevii, which I like.
So, to answer the original question... how do I handle it ? I don't give a shit. Analyze that.———
- How do you introduce dreams in English ? Romanian has the ritual phrase "se facea", which'd perhaps work to "it was being made [out]" in English, a rare case where "to make" admits the impersonal. Also stories are ritually introduced with "A fost odata ca niciodata", which literally means "there was once like never[more]". That one however has the "Once upon a time" ready equivalent, so English clearly is capable of the feat. Why u no more ritual, English ? [↩]
- The 1998 NWO/3DO game, not the current bullshit Ubisoft is trying to pass as a game to further bilk the long dead and buried franchise and the clueless teenagers of today - sad, barely recognisable shadows of human beings that had the misfortune of growing up surrounded by an abundance of money they didn't earn and corporate bullshit striving to bilk their cluelessness and old, long dead and buried franchises. You know in retrospect I don't believe being born with congenital plague to a dead mother in 1350 is actually a worse fate than being born in 1998. At least the plague kills you. [↩]
- Powerplay, baby. It's an art. [↩]
- Pretty much everything is conscientiously lifted - the food / potions mechanism, the equipment colors and mechanics, the crafting system, loads and loads of eyecandy - everything. Their CEO commented that the game cost ~50 million dollars (ie, 5x S.MG's total capital, at least for this current month), which seems an outrageous price to pay for making a copy of something. It's true that they did their own graphics, and made minor improvements here and there even, and it's true that I'm currently playing it and I never played WoW (well, I was in the closed beta and I thought it sucked). Nevertheless, reimplementing WoW is in this CEO's humble opinion a very stupid way to use your company's funds. Even if you do get a playerbase and even if you do end up making money (which is never going to be the case for Rift - they recently moved to a f2p model. They have, of course, great hopes as to the future - like everyone who dies hungry. [↩]
- I am perhaps the only person alive who actually does this, in spite of an entire business model being predicated on precisely this behaviour. I don't recall business models this broken since the days of the dotcom bubble. [↩]
- Normally you're limited to 3, which means either do 3 gathering professions and no actual crafting, or do two gathering and a little crafting. Well it so happens I like to do a lot of crafting. [↩]
- Free accounts may not sell in the AH. This is supposedly to prevent farming but I scarcely see how it works. For one, if you're farming and you can still buy on the auction house then that's that, the cash influx is assured, as you'll outbid other people thus moving hot money from the "farming" pool to the supposed "unfarming" pool. For the other, free players have a capital cap on their account, meaning they have even more incentives to spend their capital than paid accounts. I suppose any sort of even cursory understanding of how money works is a lot rarer, and a lot pricier, than the ability of making good looking 3D models. Speaking of which - for once my girl has big tits, but big in human terms. Here's a game which somehow eschewed the manga/mmorpg Humongous Udders of the Zodiac AAAA+++ would milk again. Don't they look small ? [↩]