157563 6/10/2008 17:27 08STATE62387 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY VZCZCXRO5711 RR RUEHBZ RUEHGI DE RUEHC #2387/01 1621736 ZNR UUUUU ZZH R 101727Z JUN 08 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHAB/AMEMBASSY ABIDJAN 0971 RUEHAD/AMEMBASSY ABU DHABI 1269 RUEHUJA/AMEMBASSY ABUJA 5364 RUEHAR/AMEMBASSY ACCRA 1752 RUEHDS/AMEMBASSY ADDIS ABABA 5059 RUEHAS/AMEMBASSY ALGIERS 1322 RUEHAM/AMEMBASSY AMMAN 7431 RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA 4653 RUEHAH/AMEMBASSY ASHGABAT 9659 RUEHTA/AMEMBASSY ASTANA 9977 RUEHAC/AMEMBASSY ASUNCION 9233 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS 3295 RUEHGB/AMEMBASSY BAGHDAD 8740 RUEHKB/AMEMBASSY BAKU 6749 RUEHBP/AMEMBASSY BAMAKO 9196 RUEHBD/AMEMBASSY BANDAR SERI BEGAWAN 7358 RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK 3282 RUEHGI/AMEMBASSY BANGUI 1053 RUEHJL/AMEMBASSY BANJUL 2978 RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING 0948 RUEHLB/AMEMBASSY BEIRUT 8600 RUEHBW/AMEMBASSY BELGRADE 0050 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN 5031 RUEHSW/AMEMBASSY BERN 4282 RUEHEK/AMEMBASSY BISHKEK 3119 RUEHBO/AMEMBASSY BOGOTA 6404 RUEHBR/AMEMBASSY BRASILIA 8705 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA 7770 RUEHBZ/AMEMBASSY BRAZZAVILLE 0836 RUEHBS/AMEMBASSY BRUSSELS 0567 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 9235 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST 4143 RUEHBU/AMEMBASSY BUENOS AIRES 4142 RUEHJB/AMEMBASSY BUJUMBURA 1370 RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO 6459 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA 1494 RUEHCH/AMEMBASSY CHISINAU 9133 RUEHLM/AMEMBASSY COLOMBO 3576 RUEHRY/AMEMBASSY CONAKRY 0292 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN 8765 RUEHCO/AMEMBASSY COTONOU 2175 RUEHDK/AMEMBASSY DAKAR 0443 RUEHDM/AMEMBASSY DAMASCUS 5328 RUEHDR/AMEMBASSY DAR ES SALAAM 4542 RUEHKA/AMEMBASSY DHAKA 8799 RUEHDJ/AMEMBASSY DJIBOUTI 3686 RUEHDO/AMEMBASSY DOHA 9430 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN 9373 RUEHDBU/AMEMBASSY DUSHANBE 0990 RUEHFN/AMEMBASSY FREETOWN 5808 RUEHOR/AMEMBASSY GABORONE 3599 RUEHGE/AMEMBASSY GEORGETOWN 9664 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI 0332 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD 4284 RUEHJA/AMEMBASSY JAKARTA 0187 RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL 4528 RUEHKM/AMEMBASSY KAMPALA 4229 RUEHKT/AMEMBASSY KATHMANDU 1161 RUEHKH/AMEMBASSY KHARTOUM 5794 RUEHKI/AMEMBASSY KINSHASA 7999 RUEHKL/AMEMBASSY KUALA LUMPUR 9056 RUEHKU/AMEMBASSY KUWAIT 3949 RUEHKV/AMEMBASSY KYIV 6718 RUEHLP/AMEMBASSY LA PAZ 0463 RUEHOS/AMCONSUL LAGOS 5096 RUEHLC/AMEMBASSY LIBREVILLE 4088 RUEHLG/AMEMBASSY LILONGWE 1010 RUEHPE/AMEMBASSY LIMA 1826 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON 5898 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA 5282 RUEHPC/AMEMBASSY LOME 9961 INFO RUEHRC/AGRICULTURE DEPT WASHINGTON DC 1916 UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 06 STATE 062387
SENSITIVE SIPDIS YAOUNDE PASS DOUALA
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ECON, PGOV, PREL SUBJECT: MAKTOUM FOUNDATION ENTREPRENEURS CONFERENCE
1. Summary: This is an action message. Please see paragraph 5. Department requests posts, assistance in identifying key host country entrepreneurs under the age of 40 in Arab and Muslim communities in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Middle East. Department will draw on these names in proposing invitees to a potential Arab/Muslim Annual Regional Entrepreneurs Conference (AREC) under discussion with the Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum Foundation (the Maktoum Foundation) in Dubai. As plans for the AREC remain subject to change, we request that discussion of the event and potential invitees be restricted to USG only for the time being. (ConGen Dubai is authorized to discuss the concept with the Maktoum Foundation.) Irrespective of whether the proposed AREC takes place, the names will be useful for future outreach activities. End Summary.
STATE 00062387 002 OF 006
2. Background: Modeled on the Regional World Economic Forum, the AREC will draw on young and successful entrepreneurs and businessmen/women from Arab and Muslim communities in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The conference objectives will be to: (1) link these entrepreneurs with partners and sponsors; (2) host panel discussions on entrepreneurship in Arab and Muslim countries and among large Arab and Muslim communities around the world; (3) showcase "rising stars" in the Arab and Muslim business worlds; (4) highlight indigenous, capitalist Arab and Muslim alternatives to violent extremism; (5) forge new networks of young entrepreneurs to promote job-creation in Arab and Muslim communities, and in the most challenging, predominantly Muslim regions (FATA, South Lebanon, Gaza, etc.)
3. Mechanics of the event: We understand the first AREC meeting would take place in Dubai in early 2009 and would be organized, funded and implemented by the Maktoum Foundation (with potentially other sponsors to be determined). The
STATE 00062387 003 OF 006
agenda and substance would be determined by sponsors both private and public, but with conceptual input from the USG. Possible panel and event topics may include &unknown success stories8, the history of capitalism in Muslim communities, how Islamic principles and capitalism are compatible, how wealth creation empowers Arabs and Muslims, and targeted matchmaking/networking opportunities, as well as possible entrepreneurship training opportunities (mentorships, internships, management training, etc. Speakers will likely include prominent individuals and companies from industries, including finance, technology, real estate and media, and government leaders. In addition, young entrepreneurs will be given a platform to share their experiences and express their own views and perspectives. Invitees will be determined by the sponsors, with support and advice from other stakeholders as requested. The ideal mix of speakers and participants will showcase the breadth, success and diversity of wealth creation in Arab and Muslim communities around the world. In addition, success of the meeting requires a framework for ongoing communication and collaboration by participants. Thus
STATE 00062387 004 OF 006
it will address common misperceptions related to free markets and the global financial system, as well as specific issues such as the Islamic view of interest on debts. While the Maktoum Foundation will be encouraged to seek suggestions from the U.S. government and the full range of other public and private stakeholders, the event will primarily reflect non-government Arab and Muslim perspectives and ideas about the role and importance of capitalism in their own societies.
4. USG Role. Our role in this effort would be as a conceptual partner and a facilitator. No funds would be required of Post. The Maktoum Foundation has asked that we help them identify potential attendees for the meeting. If the Maktoum Foundation proceeds with the conference, it would provide a great opportunity to empower those successful Arab and Muslim businessmen/women with whom Posts have developed positive relationships, and those with whom Posts wish to develop relationships. The overall USG goal is to identify, network and empower Muslim and Arab entrepreneurs (in both
STATE 00062387 005 OF 006
indigenous and diaspora communities). Doing so will promote entrepreneurship and, most importantly, elevate role models who will encourage Muslim and Arab youth to pursue opportunities in business.
5. Request. We ask that action addressee Posts, in coordination with their constituent posts, identify the following as our contribution to this effort:
a. Names, affiliations, and contact information for ideally at least five businessmen/women and entrepreneurs under the age of 40 in Arab and Muslim communities in your country. There is no maximum number of qualified candidates that Posts may submit. We are seeking maximum diversity of representation, including women, non-Muslim Arabs and non-Arab Muslims. All suggested invitees should be individuals who are not only successful professionally, but have also used their professional success to work for positive change in their country or abroad. An individuals public prominence is less important than professional
STATE 00062387 006 OF 006
distinction and a demonstrated interest in social and political reform.
b. Names of foundations, companies, training institutes, and other endowments in your country that might be potential conference sponsors.
c. The individuals, companies and entities recommended by Posts should be vetted through country team resources to ensure that those identified meet the high quality of character and substance necessary for a successful conference.
d. Posts are requested to provide an initial list by July 1, 2008.
6. Posts should send requested names and direct any questions to Stephen Kaplitt (email@example.com/202-647-6683).
7. Minimize considered. RICE