171929 9/29/2008 19:40 08STATE103919 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY VZCZCBSO605 PP RUEHBS DE RUEHC #3919/01 2731944 ZNR UUUUU ZZH P 291940Z SEP 08 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA PRIORITY 5834 RUEHAH/AMEMBASSY ASHGABAT PRIORITY 0181 RUEHTA/AMEMBASSY ASTANA PRIORITY 0943 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS PRIORITY 4179 RUEHKB/AMEMBASSY BAKU PRIORITY 7423 RUEHBW/AMEMBASSY BELGRADE PRIORITY 0803 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN PRIORITY 7246 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA PRIORITY 8272 RUEHBS/AMEMBASSY BRUSSELS PRIORITY 1729 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST PRIORITY 9980 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST PRIORITY 4974 RUEHCH/AMEMBASSY CHISINAU PRIORITY 9593 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN PRIORITY 9308 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN PRIORITY 9837 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI PRIORITY 0909 RUEHKV/AMEMBASSY KYIV PRIORITY 7906 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA PRIORITY 5708 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON PRIORITY 9882 RUEHLE/AMEMBASSY LUXEMBOURG PRIORITY 5134 RUEHMD/AMEMBASSY MADRID PRIORITY 9749 RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW PRIORITY 4818 RUEHNC/AMEMBASSY NICOSIA PRIORITY 4373 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO PRIORITY 6656 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS PRIORITY 1093 RUEHPG/AMEMBASSY PRAGUE PRIORITY 8969 RUEHPS/AMEMBASSY PRISTINA PRIORITY 4710 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA PRIORITY 0639 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME PRIORITY 7991 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA PRIORITY 1921 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM PRIORITY 6013 RUEHTL/AMEMBASSY TALLINN PRIORITY 6472 RUEHSI/AMEMBASSY TBILISI PRIORITY 8745 RUEHVT/AMEMBASSY VALLETTA PRIORITY 6766 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA PRIORITY 6192 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS PRIORITY 0907 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW PRIORITY 2002 RUEHVB/AMEMBASSY ZAGREB PRIORITY 1626 RUEHAT/AMCONSUL AMSTERDAM PRIORITY 2123 RUEHIT/AMCONSUL ISTANBUL PRIORITY 2375 RUEHRC/AGRICULTURE DEPT WASHINGTON DC PRIORITY 1970 RUCPDOC/DEPT OF COMMERCE WASHINGTON DC PRIORITY RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC PRIORITY 8246 RHMCSUU/DEPT OF ENERGY WASHINGTON DC PRIORITY RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS PRIORITY UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 03 STATE 103919
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ENRG, EPET SUBJECT: REGIONAL ENERGY OFFICERS TRAINING SESSION, OCTOBER 14-15 IN ATHENS
1. (SBU) The State Department,s Bureau of Economics and Energy (EEB) and Embassy Athens will host a conference on Eurasian Energy with energy officers from the region October 14-15 in Athens. The purpose of this meeting will be to provide energy officers a forum to discuss energy developments in Eurasia and to assess broader economic and geopolitical trends in the region. The session will also allow officers to review and discuss outcomes of last year,s conference in Sofia and to consider ways to work most effectively together in support of US goals.
2. (SBU) Agenda: EEB has developed an agenda in cooperation with EUR/ERA and Embassy Athens, while drawing on input from regional energy officers. The agenda is enclosed below (see Para 6).
3. (SBU) Attendees: This meeting is intended for energy officers and key Washington working level staff. Addressee posts include key European capitals as well as producer, transit, and/or consumer countries in the Caspian and Black Sea regions. If posts and/or Washington agencies have suggestions of others in the field or in Washington who should be included, please advise. Due to space considerations, we envision about 40 participants.
4. (U) Schedule: October 14: Energy Training Session from 8:30 to 5:00, followed by a no-host dinner. October 15: Energy discussions from 8:30 to 5:30 pm.
5. (U) Action: Overseas Posts and Washington invitees are requested to register attendance as soon as possible, but no later than October 2nd. Embassy Athens will provide more detailed information on the program, accommodations, etc., in early October. The appropriate contacts at Embassy Athens are: Betsy Zouroudis, e-mail: ZouroudisB@state.gov, telephone: 30-210-720-2312 and Kiriaki Lamnatou, e-mail: LamnatouKA@state.gov, telephone: 30-210-720-2311. Please inform Robert Byla at BylaRK@state.gov of your plans as well.
6. (SBU) REGIONAL ENERGY OFFICERS TRAINING SESSION, OCTOBER 14-15 IN ATHENS
October 14: Overview
08:30 Arrival at Embassy and Check In 08:45 Welcome by Ambassador Speckhard
09:00 Overview of Energy Supply and Demand Trends (DOE and EEB) i. DoE Short and Long Term Projections ii. Key Issues, Overview
10:00 Global energy brief (Corporate)
11:00 Coffee Break 11:30 Washington Perspective: USG International Energy Policy (DAS Hengel)
12:00 Washington Perspective Part II: USG Eurasian Energy Policy (S.E. Gray, DAS Bryza)
1:00 Lunch (DEPA President Makis Papageorgiou: TGI Status Report)
2:00 Oil Development and Transport in Eurasia (Corporate)
2:45 Gas Supply and Transit in Eurasia (Corporate)
3:30 Coffee Break
4:00 Industry Views (Corporate)
8:00 No-Host Dinner with Embassy Athens DCM McCarthy
October 15: Regional Focus
8:30 Europe: Country Perspectives on Diversification (Kyiv, Bucharest, Berlin)
9:30 European Diversification Possibilities (USEU, Ankara, USTDA)
11:00 Eurasian Upstream (Astana, Ashgabat, Baku)
12:00 Lunch (Speaker TBD)
1:30 Russia A. Russian Energy Policy B. Effects Post-Georgia C. How Energy Fits In
2:30 The Iranian Wildcard: Energy Policy, Supplies, Direction
3:30 INR Presentation on Communications
4:30 Concluding Thoughts A. Ongoing Policy Initiatives B. Timeline/Visits C. Coordination Between Washington and the Field RICE