93793 1/24/2007 13:51 07LISBON217 Embassy Lisbon UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY 05LISBON1340|05LISBON1352 VZCZCXRO6934 PP RUEHAG RUEHDF RUEHIK RUEHLZ RUEHMA RUEHPA RUEHROV DE RUEHLI #0217/01 0241351 ZNR UUUUU ZZH P 241351Z JAN 07 FM AMEMBASSY LISBON TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 5509 INFO RUEHZK/ECOWAS COLLECTIVE RUCNMEM/EU MEMBER STATES RUEHBP/AMEMBASSY BAMAKO 0012 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 0187 RUEHKV/AMEMBASSY KIEV 0133 RUEHPE/AMEMBASSY LIMA 0123 RUEHML/AMEMBASSY MANILA 0142 RUEHME/AMEMBASSY MEXICO 0058 RUEHNE/AMEMBASSY NEW DELHI 0109 RUEHPG/AMEMBASSY PRAGUE 0133 RUEHPA/AMEMBASSY PRAIA 0221 RUEHSA/AMEMBASSY PRETORIA 0151 RUEHRB/AMEMBASSY RABAT 0302 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME 0381 RUEHSN/AMEMBASSY SAN SALVADOR 0043 RUEHSG/AMEMBASSY SANTIAGO 0101 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL 0112 RUEHUM/AMEMBASSY ULAANBAATAR 0005 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW 0282 UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 LISBON 000217
DEPARTMENT FOR G
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: KDEM, PREL, PO SUBJECT: EARLY DISCUSSIONS ABOUT PORTUGUESE COMMUNITY OF DEMOCRACIES PRESIDENCY
REF: A. 05 LISBON 01352 B. 05 LISBON 01340
LISBON 00000217 001.2 OF 002
THIS IS AN ACTION REQUEST. PLEASE SEE PARA 6.
1. (SBU) Summary: In preparation for Portugal's upcoming Presidency of the Community of Democracies (CD) Convening Group starting in November, the MFA called for a meeting to solicit input from some members' diplomatic missions in Lisbon. The Ukrainian ambassador offered several suggestions in its role as CD co-chair with Romania; however the GOP is also interested in input from others and requested USG suggestions as part of its planning efforts. Once its program is established, Portugal aims to hold tri-annual meetings in Lisbon to monitor progress. End summary.
2. (SBU) On January 19, MFA Secretary of State Joao Cravinho called a meeting with diplomatic representatives from the United States, Peru, the Ukraine, Romania, and Chile to brainstorm a structured CD Convening Group Presidency program. Cravinho further solicited nominations of African and Asian CD nations in Lisbon to ensure each region has representation in the local working meetings. (Note: All CD Convening Group addressees except Mali, the Philippines, Mongolia, and El Salvador have representation in Lisbon.)
3. (SBU) Cravinho announced that current CD President Mali has focused on encouraging regional group participation in Community activities over the last year. The Organization of American States (OAS) has been the most responsive to the overtures so far and the CD is co-chairing a Washington conference with them in February. Other groups such as the Community of Portuguese Language Countries (CPLP) and Economic Community of Western African States (ECOWAS) have indicated interest but have not yet formalized plans. The European Commission is currently uninterested in establishing ties to the Community of Democracies, according to Cravinho.
4. (U) As co-chair of the group, Ukrainian Ambassador Rostyslav Tronenko was able to respond immediately to Cravinho's request by listing several proposals that the Ukrainian MFA approved last year:
A. General work goals: -- Share technical information with other nations; -- Increase dialogue to promote peace; -- Use "lessons learned" to strengthen human rights and democratic institutions; -- Support NGOs and intergovernmental institutions; -- Develop a ten year workplan.
B. Focus attention on the CD by: -- Supporting nations working towards the development of democratic habits and goals (especially Transdniestria, Southern Caucusus, and Kosovo); -- Establishing a worldwide meeting to discuss democracy and challenges (perhaps to be hosted in Kiev along the lines of the Davos meeting).
C. Formalize the process by: -- Scheduling one meeting per trimester for the working groups and allowing for special emergency sessions as needed; -- Finalizing and distributing the findings of the working groups.
5. (SBU) COMMENT: The GOP's open invitation is an unexpected opportunity to reinvigorate the group and shape the Portuguese term so it will be both positive and productive. Portugal recognizes that it will not be able to focus fully
LISBON 00000217 002.2 OF 002
on the CD until after Portugal's EU Presidency ends in December 2007, but perhaps we could make use of the one-month overlap to encourage European interest. End comment.
6. (SBU) ACTION REQUEST: Post requests Department guidance on USG priorities for the Community and Portugal's two-year tenure. If possible, we would welcome guidance by March 2 to ensure we can transmit suggestions at the next informal meeting. End action request. Hoffman