124275 10/1/2007 23:08 07STATE138428 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED 07BEIJING2005|07STATE80344 VZCZCXRO3742 PP RUEHAG RUEHAO RUEHAP RUEHAT RUEHBC RUEHBI RUEHBL RUEHBZ RUEHCD RUEHCHI RUEHCI RUEHCN RUEHDA RUEHDBU RUEHDE RUEHDF RUEHDT RUEHDU RUEHED RUEHEL RUEHFK RUEHFL RUEHGA RUEHGD RUEHGH RUEHGI RUEHGR RUEHHA RUEHHM RUEHHO RUEHHT RUEHIHL RUEHIK RUEHJO RUEHJS RUEHKN RUEHKR RUEHKSO RUEHKUK RUEHKW RUEHLA RUEHLH RUEHLN RUEHLZ RUEHMA RUEHMC RUEHMJ RUEHMR RUEHMRE RUEHNAG RUEHNG RUEHNH RUEHNL RUEHNP RUEHNZ RUEHPA RUEHPB RUEHPD RUEHPOD RUEHPT RUEHPW RUEHQU RUEHRD RUEHRG RUEHRN RUEHROV RUEHRS RUEHTM RUEHTRO RUEHVC RUEHVK RUEHYG DE RUEHC #8428/01 2742323 ZNR UUUUU ZZH P R 012308Z OCT 07 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHUJA/AMEMBASSY ABUJA PRIORITY 3238 RUEHAR/AMEMBASSY ACCRA PRIORITY 0070 RUEHAS/AMEMBASSY ALGIERS PRIORITY 9893 RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA PRIORITY 1557 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS PRIORITY 1293 RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK PRIORITY 7781 RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING PRIORITY 5197 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN PRIORITY 9842 RUEHSW/AMEMBASSY BERN PRIORITY 2695 RUEHBO/AMEMBASSY BOGOTA PRIORITY 2093 RUEHBR/AMEMBASSY BRASILIA PRIORITY 5810 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST PRIORITY 7413 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST PRIORITY 1988 RUEHBU/AMEMBASSY BUENOS AIRES PRIORITY 2382 RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO PRIORITY 2695 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA PRIORITY 9110 RUEHLM/AMEMBASSY COLOMBO PRIORITY 2228 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN PRIORITY 7393 RUEHDK/AMEMBASSY DAKAR PRIORITY 8741 RUEHDR/AMEMBASSY DAR ES SALAAM PRIORITY 3251 RUEHKA/AMEMBASSY DHAKA PRIORITY 7522 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN PRIORITY 8328 RUEHGT/AMEMBASSY GUATEMALA PRIORITY 9506 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI PRIORITY 9061 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD PRIORITY 9234 RUEHJA/AMEMBASSY JAKARTA PRIORITY 7519 RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL PRIORITY 0113 RUEHKM/AMEMBASSY KAMPALA PRIORITY 2886 RUEHKT/AMEMBASSY KATHMANDU PRIORITY 9580 RUEHKG/AMEMBASSY KINGSTON PRIORITY 6175 RUEHKL/AMEMBASSY KUALA LUMPUR PRIORITY 7201 RUEHPE/AMEMBASSY LIMA PRIORITY 9649 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON PRIORITY 4598 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA PRIORITY 4043 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON PRIORITY 2247 RUEHMD/AMEMBASSY MADRID PRIORITY 6981 RUEHMU/AMEMBASSY MANAGUA PRIORITY 5920 RUEHML/AMEMBASSY MANILA PRIORITY 3835 RUEHME/AMEMBASSY MEXICO PRIORITY 8002 RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW PRIORITY 4673 RUEHNR/AMEMBASSY NAIROBI PRIORITY 5176 RUEHNE/AMEMBASSY NEW DELHI PRIORITY 3459 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO PRIORITY 4645 RUEHOT/AMEMBASSY OTTAWA PRIORITY 7962 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS PRIORITY 4909 RUEHPB/AMEMBASSY PORT MORESBY PRIORITY 0388 RUEHSP/AMEMBASSY PORT OF SPAIN PRIORITY 5134 RUEHPA/AMEMBASSY PRAIA PRIORITY 2348 RUEHSA/AMEMBASSY PRETORIA PRIORITY 5009 RUEHRB/AMEMBASSY RABAT PRIORITY 3056 RUEHRK/AMEMBASSY REYKJAVIK PRIORITY 7948 RUEHRH/AMEMBASSY RIYADH PRIORITY 4655 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME PRIORITY 3284 RUEHSJ/AMEMBASSY SAN JOSE PRIORITY 7546 RUEHSN/AMEMBASSY SAN SALVADOR PRIORITY 8591 RUEHSG/AMEMBASSY SANTIAGO PRIORITY 7280 RUEHDG/AMEMBASSY SANTO DOMINGO PRIORITY 3787 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL PRIORITY 4949 RUEHGP/AMEMBASSY SINGAPORE PRIORITY 6788 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM PRIORITY 3682 RUEHTV/AMEMBASSY TEL AVIV PRIORITY 1477 RUEHTC/AMEMBASSY THE HAGUE PRIORITY 9900 RUEHKO/AMEMBASSY TOKYO PRIORITY 0840 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA PRIORITY 2885 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW PRIORITY 9024 RUEHWL/AMEMBASSY WELLINGTON PRIORITY 4377 RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS PRIORITY INFO ALL DIPLOMATIC AND CONSULAR POSTS COLLECTIVE RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI 5915 UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 06 STATE 138428
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: EAID, ENRG, EPET, SENV, SOCI, TRGY, KPAO, KGHG, KSCA SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR DEMARCHE ON MINISTERIAL DELEGATIONS TO WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC 2008)
REF: STATE 80344
1. This is an action request. Please see paragraphs 7-9.
2. Background: As described in reftel, on May 1, 2007 Secretary Rice announced that the State Department will
SIPDIS host the Washington International Renewable Energy Conference (WIREC 2008) in March 2008. WIREC is being implemented in partnership with the American Council on Renewable Energy (ACORE), the United States Energy Association (USEA), multiple USG agencies and the White House (DOE, USDA, EPA, etc.). WIREC 2008 is the third global ministerial-level event on renewable energy (Bonn 2004, Beijing 2005). WIREC 2008 is an opportunity to advance the Administration's priority of responding to the
STATE 00138428 002 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR DEMARCHE ON MINISTERIAL DELEGATIONS TO WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC 200 challenges of sustainable economic growth and climate change through renewable energy. WIREC also serves as a global platform for ministers and senior level leaders from the private sector, sub-national governments and civil society to advance the integration of renewable energy in their countries. Planning for WIREC 2008 has now advanced to the stage that the Department wishes to solidify the invitation list for the Ministerial in hopes of sending formal invitations to members of Official WIREC Ministerial Delegations before the end of October.
3. We envision the three-day WIREC Government Meetings will include speeches by a minimum of three U.S. Cabinet Secretaries, and possibly President Bush. We expect approximately 2,000 delegates to participate in the Government meetings at the Washington Convention Center. Anticipated breakdown of those 2,000 at this point, five and one-half months out is:
- 750 international government attendees consisting of 75 Ministerial-level delegations of up to 10 per country - 500 USG attendees, including federal, state, and local Officials - 750 international and U.S. private sector delegates
STATE 00138428 003 OF 006
4. Official Individual Country Ministerial-level delegations may consist of a maximum of 10 individuals per country, composed of up to three Ministers, including the Ministers of Foreign Affairs, Energy, Agriculture, or Environment (or the equivalent Ministers covering those portfolios) and three subnational government representatives. The European Commission is also invited to send a delegation of 10 members. We defer to each country's Minister of Foreign Affairs (MFA) to determine their country's precise makeup of the 'Official WIREC Ministerial Delegation,' as well as to inform us of their 'Head of Delegation,' assuming more than one Minister-level delegate is part of that country's official delegation. However, we appreciate Embassy engagement with the MFA to ensure that the delegation is comprised of appropriate Ministers and subnational government representatives.
5. Due to space constraints, we must limit the total number of participants in the 'Official WIREC Ministerial Delegation' from each country to Minister plus five, with the ideal being three distinct Ministers plus one each (for a total of six), plus three subnational government representatives, and a Washington-based embassy representative at the Ambassador, Deputy Chief of Mission,
STATE 00138428 004 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR DEMARCHE ON MINISTERIAL DELEGATIONS TO WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC 200 or Senior Counselor level. Again, the appropriate embassy representative is to be determined by the MFA.
6. For international private sector participation for WIREC Government Meetings, including NGOs, Private Companies, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), and Academia, we welcome Country Team suggestions on organizations and companies to invite to WIREC. Again, given the space limitations, we may not be able to accommodate all suggestions.
7. Action addressees include USEU and the 71 countries that we have identified as key countries. Department requests that action addressee posts approach each country's Ministry of Foreign Affairs to confirm the host country's plans to send an official ministerial delegation to WIREC 2008 and request identification of the head of delegation as well as any other available details on the composition of the delegation. Please provide details on each country's 'Official WIREC Ministerial Delegation,' and 'Head of Delegation' by
STATE 00138428 005 OF 006
8. Posts may also include in their responses a separate paragraph containing Posts' suggestions for NGOs, Private Companies, Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs), and Academia to invite to WIREC 2008.
9. Info addressee Posts that believe their host countries are interested in attending WIREC have the option to respond by return cable no later than October 15 with details on the proposed 'Official WIREC Ministerial Delegation' for their country but must provide a strong justification for including the delegation in WIREC 2008. We will consider all nominations, but may not be able to accommodate all requests due to space constraints.
10. Deadline for response cables is October 16, 2007. Responses should be slugged for OES for WIREC Action Group Leader Stan Specht and OES Special Assistant Camille Hill.
STATE 00138428 006 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR DEMARCHE ON MINISTERIAL DELEGATIONS TO WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC 200 POC FOR QUESTIONS
11. For additional information about WIREC 2008, contact OES' WIREC Action Group Leader Stan Specht (OES/PCI) at email@example.com.
12. Minimize considered. RICE