139302 1/30/2008 14:42 08STATE9421 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED 08STATE521|08STATE559|08STATE563 VZCZCXRO5010 OO RUEHAP RUEHMR RUEHPA RUEHPB RUEHTRO DE RUEHC #9421/01 0301444 ZNR UUUUU ZZH O R 301442Z JAN 08 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHAB/AMEMBASSY ABIDJAN IMMEDIATE 0294 RUEHUJA/AMEMBASSY ABUJA IMMEDIATE 4149 RUEHAR/AMEMBASSY ACCRA IMMEDIATE 0824 RUEHAS/AMEMBASSY ALGIERS IMMEDIATE 0493 RUEHAM/AMEMBASSY AMMAN IMMEDIATE 3438 RUEHAN/AMEMBASSY ANTANANARIVO IMMEDIATE 7534 RUEHAP/AMEMBASSY APIA IMMEDIATE 0984 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS IMMEDIATE 2192 RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK IMMEDIATE 0030 RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING IMMEDIATE 7606 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN IMMEDIATE 1805 RUEHSW/AMEMBASSY BERN IMMEDIATE 3456 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA IMMEDIATE 6959 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST IMMEDIATE 8171 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST IMMEDIATE 2875 RUEHJB/AMEMBASSY BUJUMBURA IMMEDIATE 1030 RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO IMMEDIATE 4214 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA IMMEDIATE 0153 RUEHLM/AMEMBASSY COLOMBO IMMEDIATE 2762 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN IMMEDIATE 7965 RUEHDK/AMEMBASSY DAKAR IMMEDIATE 9548 RUEHDR/AMEMBASSY DAR ES SALAAM IMMEDIATE 3816 RUEHKA/AMEMBASSY DHAKA IMMEDIATE 8047 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN IMMEDIATE 8674 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI IMMEDIATE 9562 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD IMMEDIATE 1641 RUEHJA/AMEMBASSY JAKARTA IMMEDIATE 8791 RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL IMMEDIATE 1959 RUEHKM/AMEMBASSY KAMPALA IMMEDIATE 3522 RUEHKT/AMEMBASSY KATHMANDU IMMEDIATE 0214 RUEHKL/AMEMBASSY KUALA LUMPUR IMMEDIATE 7969 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON IMMEDIATE 5233 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA IMMEDIATE 4572 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON IMMEDIATE 4643 RUEHMD/AMEMBASSY MADRID IMMEDIATE 7828 RUEHML/AMEMBASSY MANILA IMMEDIATE 5011 RUEHMR/AMEMBASSY MASERU IMMEDIATE 3854 RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW IMMEDIATE 7479 RUEHNR/AMEMBASSY NAIROBI IMMEDIATE 6377 RUEHNJ/AMEMBASSY NDJAMENA IMMEDIATE 3087 RUEHNE/AMEMBASSY NEW DELHI IMMEDIATE 5438 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO IMMEDIATE 5288 RUEHOU/AMEMBASSY OUAGADOUGOU IMMEDIATE 6802 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS IMMEDIATE 6826 RUEHPL/AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS IMMEDIATE 1411 RUEHPB/AMEMBASSY PORT MORESBY IMMEDIATE 0600 RUEHPA/AMEMBASSY PRAIA IMMEDIATE 2569 RUEHSA/AMEMBASSY PRETORIA IMMEDIATE 6814 RUEHRB/AMEMBASSY RABAT IMMEDIATE 3801 RUEHRK/AMEMBASSY REYKJAVIK IMMEDIATE 8183 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA IMMEDIATE 9399 RUEHRH/AMEMBASSY RIYADH IMMEDIATE 5885 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME IMMEDIATE 4672 RUEHVJ/AMEMBASSY SARAJEVO IMMEDIATE 7873 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL IMMEDIATE 6096 RUEHGP/AMEMBASSY SINGAPORE IMMEDIATE 7665 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA IMMEDIATE 0363 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM IMMEDIATE 4430 RUEHTV/AMEMBASSY TEL AVIV IMMEDIATE 2804 RUEHTC/AMEMBASSY THE HAGUE IMMEDIATE 0971 RUEHKO/AMEMBASSY TOKYO IMMEDIATE 2515 RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI IMMEDIATE 8223 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA IMMEDIATE 3907 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS IMMEDIATE 9076 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW IMMEDIATE 9889 RUEHWL/AMEMBASSY WELLINGTON IMMEDIATE 4914 RUEHYD/AMEMBASSY YAOUNDE IMMEDIATE 4446 RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS IMMEDIATE INFO RUEHRC/DEPT OF AGRICULTURE WASHINGTON DC RHEHNSC/NSC WASHINGTON DC 9594 RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 3699 RHEHAAA/WHITE HOUSE WASHINGTON DC 2968 UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 06 STATE 009421
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: EAID, ENRG, EPET, KGHG, KPAO, KSCA, OPDC, SENV, SOCI, TRGY, XA, XB, XD, XF, XG, XI SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT THE WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC) MARCH 4-6 2008
REF: A.) STATE 563 B.) STATE 559 C.) STATE 521
Note: Because of the large number of action addressees for this cable, Department is sending two duplicate cables, one to WHA posts (septel), and the other to posts outside of WHA (this cable)
1. This is an action request. Action request in para 9.
2. Summary: This message provides background information on
STATE 00009421 002 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT T how national governments can make voluntary pledges to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy. These national pledges, as well as pledges from other major stakeholders, are regarded as a central outcome of the Washington International Renewable Energy Conference (WIREC). We plan a dedicated session at WIREC to review these pledges. Pledges can be made either on-line or by email. Appropriate Embassy officials are requested to work closely with their host country counterparts to encourage robust national pledges to be announced at, or prior, to WIREC. Washington agencies appreciate the strong Embassy support that we have received in support of WIREC. End Summary
3. Background: In reftels, the Secretary invited host governments to send delegations to WIREC 2008, the third global ministerial-level event on renewable energy after Bonn (2004) and Beijing (2005). WIREC will serve as a global platform for ministers from more than 90 nations, and leaders
STATE 00009421 003 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT T from sub-national governments, the private sector and civil society to consider and discuss the benefits that policies and best practices that encourage the rapid deployment of renewable energy would have in their countries.
4. In the third paragraph of her invitation letter, the secretary invited the host government to consider making a
SIPDIS voluntary pledge at WIREC &to accelerate the deployment of renewable energy in your country.8
5. We consider these voluntary national pledges, as well as pledges made by other major WIREC stakeholders, will be a major outcome of WIREC. We are dedicating a full session on the last day of WIREC to publicize and discuss the pledges that will comprise the Washington International Action Plan (WIAP). At Bonn 2004, participants pledged 197 specific voluntary actions which collectively became know as the Bonn International Action Plan (IAP). For background on the kinds of actions pledged at Bonn which may inspire WIAP pledges, please visit the IAP website at www.REN21.net/iap
6. The development of the Bonn pledges has been ably
STATE 00009421 004 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT T followed by, and reported on, by the secretariat of the Renewable Energy Network (REN21) which was launched at Bonn. REN21 is comprised of renewable energy policy leaders from national governments, including the US, China, Germany, and India; international organizations, such as the World Bank, UNEP and the IEA; and civil society, such as the American Council of Renewable Energy (ACORE). REN21 has kindly agreed to consolidate, analyze, and follow-up in coming years on the pledges made at WIREC. The live one-page WIREC pledge template is housed on the REN21 website.
7. On the homepage of the USG,s official WIREC2008.gov website, we have a green pledge bar prominently displayed at the top of the left hand side of the page which when clicked on provides detailed background information on the pledge process, including examples of the wide variety of pledges that governments or other major stakeholders might make. Additionally, there are instructions on how to fill out a one-page pledge template and a sample template is provided. A web address is provided for those who prefer to fill out the template on line. Alternatively, if the host government prefers to email the pledge template, there are instructions
STATE 00009421 005 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT T on how to do this. We anticipate that, in many countries, more than one government entity will be in a position to make a pledge and multiple pledges are welcome. In the event that questions arise, a REN21 contact point is provided.
8. We want to emphasize that any pledges made prior to the start of WIREC will be held in strict confidence by the WIREC organizers. It is up to the host government to choose how and when to announce its pledge. In select cases, in the lead up to WIREC, the USG may contact a host government to ascertain if they would consider making a public announcement about their pledge prior to WIREC.
9. Action request: appropriate embassy officials, including the designated WIREC POC, should work closely with appropriate host country officials and entities who are coming to WIREC to encourage them to take the internal steps needed to allow a robust, voluntary national pledge to be
STATE 00009421 006 OF 006
SUBJECT: REQUEST FOR EMBASSY TO ENCOURAGE HOST COUNTRY PLEDGE TO ADVANCE THE UPTAKE OF RENEWABLE ENERGY AT T announced at, or prior, to WIREC. In embassy contacts with appropriate host government officials, we suggest that hard copies of the pledge information noted in para 5 be provided.
FOR MORE INFROMATION
10. Post questions about the WIREC pledge process can be sent to Stan Specht, WIREC action group team leader at email@example.com.
11. Minimize considered. RICE