137961 1/18/2008 19:50 08STATE5963 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED 07STATE138428|07STATE80334|08STATE521|08STATE559|08STATE563|08STATE5963 VZCZCXRO6681 OO RUEHAP RUEHMR RUEHPA RUEHPB RUEHTRO DE RUEHC #5963/01 0190425 ZNR UUUUU ZZH O 181950Z JAN 08 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHAB/AMEMBASSY ABIDJAN IMMEDIATE 0264 RUEHUJA/AMEMBASSY ABUJA IMMEDIATE 4105 RUEHAR/AMEMBASSY ACCRA IMMEDIATE 0764 RUEHAS/AMEMBASSY ALGIERS IMMEDIATE 0456 RUEHAM/AMEMBASSY AMMAN IMMEDIATE 3207 RUEHAN/AMEMBASSY ANTANANARIVO IMMEDIATE 7493 RUEHAP/AMEMBASSY APIA IMMEDIATE 0972 RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK IMMEDIATE 9878 RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING IMMEDIATE 7438 RUEHJB/AMEMBASSY BUJUMBURA IMMEDIATE 1011 RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO IMMEDIATE 4086 RUEHLM/AMEMBASSY COLOMBO IMMEDIATE 2696 RUEHDK/AMEMBASSY DAKAR IMMEDIATE 9512 RUEHDR/AMEMBASSY DAR ES SALAAM IMMEDIATE 3772 RUEHKA/AMEMBASSY DHAKA IMMEDIATE 7995 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD IMMEDIATE 1419 RUEHJA/AMEMBASSY JAKARTA IMMEDIATE 8721 RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL IMMEDIATE 1801 RUEHKM/AMEMBASSY KAMPALA IMMEDIATE 3462 RUEHKT/AMEMBASSY KATHMANDU IMMEDIATE 0149 RUEHKL/AMEMBASSY KUALA LUMPUR IMMEDIATE 7894 RUEHML/AMEMBASSY MANILA IMMEDIATE 4949 RUEHMR/AMEMBASSY MASERU IMMEDIATE 3824 RUEHNR/AMEMBASSY NAIROBI IMMEDIATE 6287 RUEHNJ/AMEMBASSY NDJAMENA IMMEDIATE 3063 RUEHNE/AMEMBASSY NEW DELHI IMMEDIATE 5265 RUEHOU/AMEMBASSY OUAGADOUGOU IMMEDIATE 6762 RUEHPL/AMEMBASSY PORT LOUIS IMMEDIATE 1386 RUEHPB/AMEMBASSY PORT MORESBY IMMEDIATE 0583 RUEHPA/AMEMBASSY PRAIA IMMEDIATE 2535 RUEHSA/AMEMBASSY PRETORIA IMMEDIATE 6711 RUEHRB/AMEMBASSY RABAT IMMEDIATE 3740 RUEHTRO/AMEMBASSY TRIPOLI IMMEDIATE 8021 RUEHYD/AMEMBASSY YAOUNDE IMMEDIATE 4309 INFO RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA IMMEDIATE 2710 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS IMMEDIATE 2136 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN IMMEDIATE 1685 RUEHSW/AMEMBASSY BERN IMMEDIATE 3387 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA IMMEDIATE 6927 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST IMMEDIATE 8129 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST IMMEDIATE 2814 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA IMMEDIATE 0071 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN IMMEDIATE 7906 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN IMMEDIATE 8657 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI IMMEDIATE 9519 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON IMMEDIATE 5206 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA IMMEDIATE 4513 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON IMMEDIATE 4490 RUEHMD/AMEMBASSY MADRID IMMEDIATE 7775 RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW IMMEDIATE 7277 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO IMMEDIATE 5240 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS IMMEDIATE 6698 RUEHRK/AMEMBASSY REYKJAVIK IMMEDIATE 8150 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA IMMEDIATE 9366 RUEHRH/AMEMBASSY RIYADH IMMEDIATE 5791 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME IMMEDIATE 4584 RUEHVJ/AMEMBASSY SARAJEVO IMMEDIATE 7822 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL IMMEDIATE 6012 RUEHGP/AMEMBASSY SINGAPORE IMMEDIATE 7619 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA IMMEDIATE 0316 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM IMMEDIATE 4370 RUEHTC/AMEMBASSY THE HAGUE IMMEDIATE 0894 RUEHKO/AMEMBASSY TOKYO IMMEDIATE 2407 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA IMMEDIATE 3837 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS IMMEDIATE 9039 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW IMMEDIATE 9823 RUEHWL/AMEMBASSY WELLINGTON IMMEDIATE 4866 RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS IMMEDIATE UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 06 STATE 005963
FOR AMBASSADORS AND DCMS
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: EAID, ENRG, EPET, KGHG, KPAO, KSCA, OPDC, SENV, SOCI, TRGY, XA, XB, XG, XF, XI, XD SUBJECT: DEPARTMENT REQUESTS POSTS CONSIDER SUPPORTING HOST COUNTRY ATTENDANCE AT WASHINGTON INTERNATIONAL RENEWABLE ENERGY CONFERENCE (WIREC)
WHITE HOUSE FOR NSC AND CEQ ROME -- PLEASE PASS TO EMBASSY VATICAN PORT LOUIS: CABLE IS FOR BOTH MADAGASCAR AND THE COMOROS PORT LOUIS: CABLE IS FOR BOTH MAURITIUS AND THE SEYCHELLES PORT MORESBY: CABLE IS FOR PAPUA NEW GUINEA - VANATU - AND THE SOLOMON ISLANDS
REF: A. STATE 563, B. STATE 559, C. STATE 521 D. 07 STATE 138428, E. 07 STATE 80334
Note: Because of the large number of action addressees for this cable, Department is sending two duplicate cables, one to WHA posts (septel), and the other to posts outside of WHA (this cable).
1. Department requests that country team determine whether post has program or discretionary funds which may be used to
STATE 00005963 002 OF 006
SUBJECT: DEPARTMENT REQUESTS POSTS CONSIDER SUPPORTING HOST COUNTRY ATTENDANCE AT WASHINGTON INTERNATION help defray travel costs, including per diem, for appropriate member(s) of host country,s official delegation, sub national government representatives, or civil society whose participation would benefit the Washington International Renewable Energy Conference (WIREC), March 4-6, 2008, Washington D.C. Posts are asked to consider supporting delegations from all the countries to which they are accredited. Agencies with regional coverage are requested to consider support for all the posts they serve.
2. Per reftels,WIREC 2008, a Presidential initiative, is the third global ministerial-level event on renewable energy after Bonn in 2004 and Beijing in 2005. WIREC will serve as a global platform for ministers and senior leaders from the private sector, sub-national governments, and civil society to discuss and share information about the benefits of renewable energy, identify best practices and barriers, and consider policy options and measures needed to encourage the rapid development of renewable energy in their countries. The participation of all relevant stakeholders, including government officials, civil society delegates, and private sector representatives in WIREC 2008 is essential to furthering USG objectives (i.e., promoting the uptake of renewable energy as part of the President's climate change
STATE 00005963 003 OF 006
3. While it is the Department,s hope that most countries interested in attending WIREC will be able to bear the full cost of their delegations, participation, we realize that this may not be possible. Official delegates will not/not be asked to cover the conference registration fee, but in anticipation of receiving requests for travel support from some delegations, we request that posts determine whether they have funds available to support small official delegations of one or two representatives. We welcome post support for civil society delegates if funding is available, but ask that priority be given to official delegations.
4. USAID shares the Department,s commitment to a successful WIREC and contacted USAID officers located in countries which have been invited to the Ministerial via e-mail on 14 January to inform them of this need and to provide them a copy of Acting Administrator Fore,s October 4 letter to U/S Dobriansky agreeing to ask USAID missions to support.. Text of the letter is in paragraph 7.
5. For some delegations, travel support will make a decisive difference in determining whether they will be able to attend WIREC. Department has had some success in soliciting support funds from other countries, such as Germany, Canada, and
STATE 00005963 004 OF 006
SUBJECT: DEPARTMENT REQUESTS POSTS CONSIDER SUPPORTING HOST COUNTRY ATTENDANCE AT WASHINGTON INTERNATION Italy, that share our desire for a conference that is as broad and representative as possible. We will continue with these efforts. Unfortunately, the projected need currently exceeds the level of funding at our disposal. It is in our collective interest to secure the broadest possible participation in WIREC 2008. Department appreciates posts efforts to help make WIREC 2008 a success.
6. Department requests that Posts respond by return cable by COB January 21 with details on whether and to what extent they will be able to help provide support. Responses should be slugged for OES WIREC Action Group Deputy Tracy Hall and OES Special Assistant Camille Hill.
Text of Fore-Dobriansky Letter
7. Text of letter follows:
Dear Under Secretary Dobriansky:
Thank you for your letter dated September 12, 2007, regarding
STATE 00005963 005 OF 006
SUBJECT: DEPARTMENT REQUESTS POSTS CONSIDER SUPPORTING HOST COUNTRY ATTENDANCE AT WASHINGTON INTERNATION the Washington International Renewable Energy Conference (WIRREC 2008). I am sure that the conference will be a success under your capable leadership, and will help advance the Administration,s efforts to respond to the challenges of sustainable economic growth and climate change.
As you know, under the ongoing foreign assistance reforms virtually all U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) funding has been allocated to field missions for the attainment of specific development objectives, such as preventing conflict and the spread of disease. To this end, our pillar bureaus are focused on providing field support, and do not have budgets to support U.S.-based activities. Therefore, USAID will not be in a position to provide financial support to WIREC 2008. However, our Washington-based staff will coordinate with USAID field missions in the Tier 1 countries to help them identify relevant government officials and to encourage the field missions to sponsor the officials, attendance at WIREC. In addition, USAID will make technical staff from the Bureau of Economic Growth, Agriculture and Trade available to provide substantive support to the WIREC planning process, as well as logistical support via the inter-agency working group process. Specifically, our energy team staff will be able to share ideas for meeting topics, speakers, and other issues via participation in the WIREC rural development,
STATE 00005963 006 OF 006
SUBJECT: DEPARTMENT REQUESTS POSTS CONSIDER SUPPORTING HOST COUNTRY ATTENDANCE AT WASHINGTON INTERNATION commercialization, and financing agenda committees. They can also provide suggestions for foreign country participants and success stories, as needed.
Please rest assured that USAID will continue to contribute to the inter-agency process on WIREC and other energy and environment initiatives, including the Global Village Enterprise Partnership, part of the Clean Energy Initiative, the Commission on Sustainable Development, and the Asia-Pacific Partnership. We look forward to continued collaboration on these critical issues.
Cordially, Henrietta H. Fore Acting Administrator
8. Tripoli minimize considered. RICE