79040 9/19/2006 23:39 06STATE155973 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED VZCZCXYZ0001 OO RUEHWEB DE RUEHC #5973 2622348 ZNR UUUUU ZZH O 192339Z SEP 06 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHAD/AMEMBASSY ABU DHABI IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHTA/AMEMBASSY ALMATY IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHAM/AMEMBASSY AMMAN IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHKB/AMEMBASSY BAKU IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHBK/AMEMBASSY BANGKOK IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHEK/AMEMBASSY BISHKEK IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHEG/AMEMBASSY CAIRO IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHCH/AMEMBASSY CHISINAU IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHDO/AMEMBASSY DOHA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHKV/AMEMBASSY KIEV IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHKU/AMEMBASSY KUWAIT IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHMK/AMEMBASSY MANAMA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHMS/AMEMBASSY MUSCAT IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHPG/AMEMBASSY PRAGUE IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHRK/AMEMBASSY REYKJAVIK IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHRH/AMEMBASSY RIYADH IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSN/AMEMBASSY SAN SALVADOR IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHDG/AMEMBASSY SANTO DOMINGO IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHVJ/AMEMBASSY SARAJEVO IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHGP/AMEMBASSY SINGAPORE IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSQ/AMEMBASSY SKOPJE IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSV/AMEMBASSY SUVA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHTL/AMEMBASSY TALLINN IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHSI/AMEMBASSY TBILISI IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHTG/AMEMBASSY TEGUCIGALPA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHTC/AMEMBASSY THE HAGUE IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHTI/AMEMBASSY TIRANA IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHKO/AMEMBASSY TOKYO IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHUM/AMEMBASSY ULAANBAATAR IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHYE/AMEMBASSY YEREVAN IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHVB/AMEMBASSY ZAGREB IMMEDIATE 0000 INFO RUCNDT/USMISSION USUN NEW YORK IMMEDIATE 0000 RUEHNO/USMISSION USNATO IMMEDIATE 0000 UNCLAS STATE 155973
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: MARR, MOPS, PREL, IZ SUBJECT: CIVILIAN INVITATION TO CENTCOM CONFERENCE ON IRAQ
1. This is an action request. See para. 7.
2. SUMMARY. An Iraq Coalition Conference will be held in Warsaw, Poland 3-5 October, 2006, sponsored by CDRUSCENTCOM. Invitees include military representatives (all addressee posts already invited by CENTCOM) and civilian political representatives from Coalition partners and prospective partners. This cable solicits civilian political participation as symbolic of a transition for Coalition forces from boots on the ground to a supporting role for the Iraqi Security Forces (ISF), with an increasing emphasis on political and economic development. This conference provides an opportunity for countries to engage with each other on the nature and vision of the international community's assistance to Iraq. Key conference speakers will include Iraqi National Security Advisor Muwaffaq al- Rubaie, GEN John Abizaid, CDRUSCENTCOM, GEN George Casey, COMMNFI, State Department Senior Coordinator for Iraq Ambassador David Satterfield, and the Secretary of Defense's Special Counselor for Coalition Affairs, Ms. Debra Cagan. Embassies are requested to extend invitations to appropriate civilian representatives, noting when appropriate Amb. Satterfield's desire for bilateral and trilateral (w/Government of Iraq) consultations with specific key countries: El Salvador, Mongolia, Poland, Slovakia, South Korea, Turkey, and the UK. END SUMMARY
3. The United States Central Command has announced it will host a Coalition Conference in support of the Multi-National Forces-Iraq (MNF-I) in Warsaw, Poland on 3-5 October, 2006. The conference theme is Ma'an ila Al-Aman (Together Forward). The conference purpose is to inform Coalition partners on the progress being made by the Iraqi Government and Security Forces, to review the updated Campaign Plan, requiring change in the nature of coalition partner missions, and to ensure that coalition partners understand the overall plan for the next 12 to 18 months.
4. While the focus of the conference will be Coalition contributions to Iraq's security and stability, the close relationship between the security environment and Iraq's political and economic development suggest coordination at the both the Mil-Mil and Pol-Mil levels will provide the best opportunity for Coalition success. Key conference speakers will include Government of Iraq National Security Advisor Muwaffaq al-Rubaie, General John Abizaid, Commander USCENTCOM, General George Casey, Commmander, MNF-I, State Department Senior Coordinator for Iraq Ambassador David Satterfield, and the Secretary of Defense's Special Counselor for Coalition Affairs. This invitation seeks a single civilian participant, well versed on Iraq issues and of commensurate stature with the nation's military attendee. Simultaneous conference invitations have been extended to Coalition Flag/general officers at the two and three star level through military channels. While many addressee countries have no current involvement in Iraq, CENTCOM wants to make the conference as inclusive as possible and approach potential capability contributors.
5. RSVPs and registration information should be submitted via nation's military Senior National Representative (SNR) at CENTCOM's Coalition Village in Tampa, FL. In the case of no CENTCOM SNR, Embassy staff can contact the CENTCOM POC (para. 8) or directly register participants by accessings CENTCOM's SIPRNet website: http://hqsweb03.centcom.smil.mil/CCJ5/J5CCC/M NFI Conference/ index.asp. Required registration information includes name, title, contact information, security clearance data and travel details. Conference details, including a tentative conference agenda and hotel information can also be found at the website.
6. For reference, the following is the text of the invitation already sent to military representatives:
Dear General X,
United States Central Command is pleased to announce it will host a Coalition Conference in support of Muli-National Forces-Iraq in Warsaw, Poland on 3-5 October, 2006. We request that a military representative from Poland at the general officer level attend this important and historic conference. Separately, the United States State Department will be contacting your government to ask a civilian political representative also be named.
We hope both a military and civilian political representative from your country will be able to join us for this vital gathering. I believe you will find the time with the United States Central Command and Multi-National Forces- Iraq Coalition team well spent.
The two-day conference will be held in Warsaw, Poland, with approximately 150 attendees. Participants will include Two and Three Star Flag/General Officers and equivalent civilian-level political representatives of current and prospective Iraq coalition members, as well as, distinguished US and Iraq Government officials. The conference's purpose is to inform coalition partners on the progress being made by the Iraqi Government and Security Forces, to review the updated Campaign Plan requiring change in the nature of coalition partner missions, and to ensure that coalition partners understand the plan for the next 12 to 18 months.
Enclosed you will find some important conference details. The United States Central Command staff and I look forward to seeing and spending time with your representative. My staff is prepared to assist you in any way possible to make this a memorable and successful event.
Encl JOHN P. ABIZAID as General, USA
7. Action: request post deliver the following civilian conference invitation to the appropriate host government representative:
United States Central Command will host a Coalition Conference in support of Muli-National Forces-Iraq in Warsaw, Poland on 3-5 October, 2006. Indicative of the wider international engagement beyond security and stability necessary to assist Iraq in its political, economic and security development, the Department of State would like to invite one civilian representative as well from your country. We request that a representative of senior rank (Ambassadorial or Political Director or other commensurate representative) well versed in Iraq issues attend.
The purpose of this two-day conference is to inform international partners of the progress being made by the Iraqi Government and its Security Forces; I intend to join my military colleagues in sharing with you a vision for Iraq over the next 12 to 18 months in its political, economic, and security development.
I encourage a representative to attend what I believe will be an important and unifying event. Over 150 participants are expected to attend, including Iraqis, as well as participants of countries which are not yet involved in the international effort to rebuild Iraq.
(LONDON, SEOUL, WARSAW --please insert the following additional paragraph: The leadership of a Multi-National Division is a vital function for MNF-I. In particular I would like to have a separate meeting with your representative to discuss how we can together take advantage of your leadership to most effectively help Iraq transition to security self-reliance.)
(BRATISLAVA, SAN SALVADOR, ULAANBAATAR-please insert the following additional paragraph: In particular I would like to have a separate meeting with your representative to discuss how we can together take advantage of your unique contribution to most effectively help Iraq transition to security self-reliance.)
(ANKARA-please insert the following additional paragraph: In particular I would like to have a separate bilateral meeting with your representative to discuss several regional issues.)
Please coordinate with your military representative to submit your registration information (personal contact and travel details). Of course you may consult our Embassy staff on any problems you encounter. I look forward to seeing you and working with your country to help build Iraq a better future.
David M. Satterfield Senior Coordinator for Iraq U.S. Department of State
8. CENTCOM point of contact for the conference:
James L. Watson, LtCol., USMC U.S. Central Command Coalition Coordination Center Director's Action Team * (813) 827-2970 DSN 651-1737 * email@example.com * firstname.lastname@example.org * unclass fax (813) 827-1122 DSN 651-1122 * class fax (813) 827-1094 DSN 651-1094
State Dept point of contact for the conference: Peter Evans Iraq Political-Military Affairs Tel. 202-647-7642 Unclass fax: 202-736-4464
SIPDIS EvansPO2@state.sgov.gov EvansPO@state.gov RICE