154394 5/19/2008 2:48 08BAGHDAD1536 Embassy Baghdad SECRET 08BAGHDAD1037 VZCZCXRO7173 PP RUEHBC RUEHDE RUEHIHL RUEHKUK DE RUEHGB #1536 1400248 ZNY SSSSS ZZH P 190248Z MAY 08 FM AMEMBASSY BAGHDAD TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 7423 INFO RUEHTA/AMEMBASSY ASTANA PRIORITY RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA PRIORITY 0011 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST PRIORITY 0026 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST PRIORITY 0009 RUEHCH/AMEMBASSY CHISINAU PRIORITY 0006 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON PRIORITY 0012 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA PRIORITY 0008 RUEHPG/AMEMBASSY PRAGUE PRIORITY 0028 RUEHSN/AMEMBASSY SAN SALVADOR PRIORITY 0014 RUEHVJ/AMEMBASSY SARAJEVO PRIORITY 0009 RUEHSQ/AMEMBASSY SKOPJE PRIORITY 0009 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA PRIORITY 0035 RUEHSV/AMEMBASSY SUVA PRIORITY 0008 RUEHSI/AMEMBASSY TBILISI PRIORITY 0023 RUEHUM/AMEMBASSY ULAANBAATAR PRIORITY 0008 RUEHYE/AMEMBASSY YEREVAN PRIORITY 0015 RHMFISS/HQ USCENTCOM MACDILL AFB FL PRIORITY RUEKJCS/JOINT STAFF WASHDC PRIORITY RHEHAAA/WHITE HOUSE WASHINGTON DC//NSC// PRIORITY RUCNRAQ/IRAQ COLLECTIVE S E C R E T BAGHDAD 001536
E.O. 12958: DECL: 05/18/2018 TAGS: MARR, PREL, KTIA, IZ SUBJECT: U.S.-IRAQ SOFA NEGOTIATIONS: ROUND 2 PRODUCES SOME AGREED TEXT
REF: BAGHDAD 1037
Classified By: Acting PolMil Counselor Karen H. Sasahara. Reasons 1.4 (b) and (d).
1. (S) SUMMARY: The U.S. and Iraqi Status of Forces Agreement (SOFA) negotiation teams met in Baghdad April 22 to May 11. The talks have recessed at the request of the GOI, which will be sending part of its SOFA negotiating team to Turkey, Germany, Japan, and Korea to discuss with those governments the implementation of their SOFAs with the U.S. The two sides made substantial progress in negotiating the text, coming to agreement on a number of provisions. Key differences remain, including on Status of Personnel, Authorities for Combat and Detention Operations, Jurisdiction over Certain Contractors, and Taxation. The teams plan to reconvene in early June, possibly in Washington. END SUMMARY.
2. (S) The two sides came to agreement on the following provisions of the draft SOFA: Article II: Pol-Mil Consultations Article III: Respect for Laws Article IV: Definitions: 5 of 7 paragraphs agreed Article V: Property Ownership Article XIII: Bearing Arms and Wearing Uniforms Article XVII: Licenses Article XVIII: Official Vehicles Article XXIII: Attachments Article XXIV: Implementation and Disputes: 2 of 3 paragraphs agreed Article XXV: Entry into Force, Amendment and Termination
3. (S) Other articles are near agreement: Preamble Article I: Scope and Purpose Article VI: Use of Agreed Facilities and Areas Article VII: Positioning of Defense Materiel Article VIII: Protection of the Environment Article XIV: Entry and Exit Article IX: Movement of Vehicles, Vessels, and Aircraft Article XX: Currency and Exchange Annex A: List of Agreed Facilities and Areas
4. (S) Articles and Provisions Requiring Substantial Additional Work: Article X: Contracting Article XI: Utilities and Telecommunications Article XII: Status of Personnel Article XV: Import/Export Article XVI: Taxation Article XIX: Service Support Activities Article XXI: Claims Article XXII: Extension to other States Attachment 1: Combat Operations Attachment 2: Detention Operations Attachment: Jurisdiction over Certain Contractors
5. (S) COMMENT: Negotiations are proceeding at a good pace, and the teams expect to come to agreement on substantial portions of the text when they meet again in June. END COMMENT.
6. (U) Lead SOFA Negotiator Ambassador Loftis has cleared this message.