154208 5/16/2008 10:14 08BERLIN643 Embassy Berlin SECRET 07STATE75839|08BERLIN195|08BERLIN511|08STATE15220|08STATE40087 VZCZCXRO6021 PP RUEHDE DE RUEHRL #0643 1371014 ZNY SSSSS ZZH P 161014Z MAY 08 FM AMEMBASSY BERLIN TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC PRIORITY 1230 INFO RUCNFRG/FRG COLLECTIVE RUEHAD/AMEMBASSY ABU DHABI 0151 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 0195 RUEHVB/AMEMBASSY ZAGREB 0154 RUEHDE/AMCONSUL DUBAI 0105 S E C R E T BERLIN 000643
SIPDIS, ISN/MTR, EUR/AGS AND EUR/PRA
E.O. 12958: DECL: 05/16/2033 TAGS: PARM, PREL, ETTC, MTCRE, KSCA, IR, GM SUBJECT: (S) GERMANY REQUESTS INFORMATION CONCERNING IRANIAN PROCUREMENT OF ICS-SCHNEIDER TEST CHAMBER
REF: A. 07 STATE 75839 B. STATE 15220 C. BERLIN 195 D. STATE 40087 E. BERLIN 511
Classified By: Glbal Affairs Unit Chief Don L. Brown for reasons 14 (b) and (d).
1. (U) THIS IS AN ACTION REQUEST. PLEASE SEE PARA 5.
2. (S) On May 13, MFA Export Control Division Desk Officer Wiebke Wacker provided Global Affairs Oficer with a German-language nonpaper requesting nformation from U.S. concerning an Iranian natioal, Abdolmajid Naji, and a German citizen, Andreas Schneider, in connection with the Iranian procurement of a German origin environmental test chamber from the firm ICS-Schneider Messtechnik. In support of a current investigation, the Germans are specifically interested in knowing whether the USG has any information indicating that Andreas Schneider was aware that the Iranian firm Shahid Bakeri Industrial Group (SBIG) would be the actual end-user of the environmental test chamber.
3. (S) In a May 5 meeting, Wacker provided Global Affairs Officer with further background information concerning this information request. According to the German Customs Office of Criminal Investigation (Zollkriminalamt, or ZKA), Wacker said, Abdolmajid Naji was confronted (and possibly detained) by U.S. authorities in February 2008 while applying for a visa at AmConGen Dubai. Wacker said the ZKA has assessed that information concerning Naji's business contacts with Andreas Schneider is a critical piece of evidence needed to support the ZKA's ongoing investigation into Andreas Schneider and Iranian efforts to procure an environmental chamber from ICS-Schneider Messtechnik.
4. (S) Begin informal Embassy translation of German-language nonpaper:
With reference to the Non-Papers from June 1, 2007, August 3, 2007, December 18, 2007, February 15, 2008, and April 21, 2008 regarding the procurement of an environmental test chamber by the Iranian firm Rakin from the German firm ICS Schneider via Romania and Croatia, we take this opportunity to ask the U.S. authorities about the following points:
The German export control authorities have learned that Abdolmajid Naji was approached by U.S. authorities about these matters. Because the German authorities have also undertaken investigative measures, we are interested in information concerning the results of these conversations.
The U.S. authorities reported in their Non Paper from April 21, 2008, that the Iranian firm SBIG is the actual intended recipient of the test chamber. The German export control authorities are accordingly interested in knowing whether the German citizen Andreas Schneider had knowledge of this end-user.
We thank you for the information in connection with the SBIG's procurement attempts and we look forward to continuing our excellent cooperation in the area of export controls.
End text of informal Embassy translation.
5. (SBU) ACTION REQUEST: Post requests Department guidance in responding to the questions posed in the German nonpaper. TIMKEN JR