167957 8/29/2008 17:15 08STATE93148 Secretary of State UNCLASSIFIED VZCZCXYZ0003 RR RUEHWEB DE RUEHC #3148 2421717 ZNR UUUUU ZZH R 291715Z AUG 08 FM SECSTATE WASHDC TO RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 0000 INFO RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN 0000 RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC 0000 RHMCSUU/FBI WASHINGTON DC 0000 RUCPDOC/USDOC WASHINGTON DC 0000 RUEKJCS/SECDEF WASHINGTON DC RUEPINS/HQ BICE INTEL WASHINGTON DC UNCLAS STATE 093148
SIPDIS BUCHAREST FOR CHRISTOPHER A. ELLIS
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: ETTC, KOMC, RO SUBJECT: BLUE LANTERN LEVEL 3: PRE-LICENSE END-USE CHECK ON APPLICATION 050120369
REF: 2006 BLUE LANTERN GUIDEBOOK
1. This is an Action Request. See paragraphs 2-4.
2. The Department's Office of Defense Trade Controls Compliance (PM/DTCC) requests post's assistance in conducting a pre-license check on application 050120369 for the export of a thermal imaging kit to Romania. Post is requested to complete this Blue Lantern check within 30 days. Lack of response to a Blue Lantern check will affect pending and future licenses involving parties to this license.
3. Reason for request: Unfamiliar foreign end-user, MIDIA Marine Terminal, and unfamiliar foreign consignee, Navtron S.R.L. Neither company has appeared on any previous license applications, nor have the bona fides of the companies been verified by a Blue Lantern check.
4. ACTION: Department requests that Embassy make appropriate inquiries to verify the bona fides of foreign end-user MIDIA Marine Terminal and foreign consignee Navtron S.R.L., and to confirm the legitimacy of this proposed transaction. PM/DTCC also requests that post conduct site visits to the companies in order to provide Department with an assessment of their business operations and on-site security. Finally, post is asked to assess whether the companies appear to be reliable recipients of USML items. If a site visit is not possible, please inform the PM/DTCC officer.
The following questions for both companies are provided as suggested guidance:
--Does the company have supporting documentation, including purchase orders, for this proposed transaction?
--What role will Navtron S.R.L. (Navtron) and BFI Optilas play in the proposed transaction? Will Navtron and BFI Optilas be handling or storing the items listed on the application? If so, do they have secure facilities and proper accounting and security procedures for handling these sensitive USML items?
--What is the exact end-use for this USML item? Will MIDIA Marine Terminal retain positive control over the thermal imaging kit at all times or will your company lease the system to your customers? Who exactly are these customers and where are they located? Are they all located in Romania? Will the thermal imaging kit be taken outside of Romania? If so, where?
--When was the company established and who are its principals?
--What is the nature of its business -- what type of items does it handle, does it serve as a broker?
--What type of organizations are among its typical customers and where are the customers located?
--Does the company understand the restrictions on United States Munitions List (USML) items, especially the prohibition against unauthorized re-transfers and re-exports?
5. Details of license application:
DTC Case: 050120369
1 EOSS-TV 500CZC EOSS Thermal Imaging Kit to include: 100-500 Continuous Zoom Thermal - Imager f/4 3-5 um - Boresighted CCTV - ASP-50 Pan & Tilt System - PAL Video Format
License Value: USD 84,000.00
Axsys Technologies, Inc. 175 Capital Blvd. Suite 103 Rocky Hill, CT 06067 POC is Colleen Zimmermann, Tel. 860-257-57547
Navtron S.R.L. 7 Vasile Marcovici Street Constanta Romania POC is CEO Visan Adrian, Tel. 40 241 545650
BFI Optilas Gmbh Assar-Gabrielsson-Str.1 Detzenbach Germany POC is Carmela Huanel, Tel. 0 6074 40 98-0
MIDIA Marine Terminal Drumul Judetean 226, km. 23 Navodari Romania POC is General Director Taus Ioan, Tel. 40 241 506147
The camera will used for monitoring the activity at the SPM marine oil terminal stationed some 9 KM offshore.
6. Submitted in support of the license application were the following documents (PM/DTCC can fax documentation to post upon request):
--Purchase Order No. 2054572 submitted by BFI Optilas Gmbh on 18 August 2008, unsigned.
--DSP-83 submitted by MADIA Marine Terminal on 22 August 2008, signed by General Director Taus Ioan and by Navatron CEO, Visan Adrian on 01 August 2008.
--End User Statement submitted by MIDIA Marine Terminal on 01 August 2008, signed by General Director Taus Ioan.
7. Please slug reply for PM/DTCC - BLUE LANTERN COORDINATOR and include the words "Blue Lantern" and the case number in the subject line. POC is Tim Mazzarelli, Phone: 202-663-3867; Email: MazzarelliTP@state.gov; SIPRNET: MazzarelliTP@state.sgov.gov. The Blue Lantern Guidebook (ref) is available as a PDF file in the Bunche Library's E-Book Collection on the DOS Intranet: http://buncheelectroniclibrary.state.gov/eboo ks/ BlueLanternGuidebook2006%20 final .pdf
8. Department is grateful for post's assistance in this matter. RICE