126019 10/17/2007 10:36 07SOFIA1239 Embassy Sofia UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY 07ANKARA2419 VZCZCXYZ0004 RR RUEHWEB DE RUEHSF #1239 2901036 ZNR UUUUU ZZH R 171036Z OCT 07 FM AMEMBASSY SOFIA TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 4426 RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA 0715 RUEHTA/AMEMBASSY ASTANA RUEHAH/AMEMBASSY ASHGABAT 0047 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS 1438 RUEHKB/AMEMBASSY BAKU 0044 RUEHBJ/AMEMBASSY BEIJING 0507 RUEHBW/AMEMBASSY BELGRADE 0448 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN 0137 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 0190 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST 0550 RUEHHE/AMEMBASSY HELSINKI 0357 RUEHKV/AMEMBASSY KYIV 0019 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON 0230 RUEHLJ/AMEMBASSY LJUBLJANA 0563 RUEHSK/AMEMBASSY MINSK 0058 RUEHMO/AMEMBASSY MOSCOW 0596 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO 0316 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS 0274 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA 0295 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME 0507 RUEHSQ/AMEMBASSY SKOPJE 1999 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM 0505 RUEHTL/AMEMBASSY TALLINN 0274 RUEHSI/AMEMBASSY TBILISI 0239 RUEHTI/AMEMBASSY TIRANA 1139 RUEHNT/AMEMBASSY TASHKENT 0119 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA 1183 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS 0300 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW 0471 RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS RHEBAAA/DEPT OF ENERGY WASHINGTON DC RUCPDOC/DEPT OF COMMERCE WASHINGTON DC RUEAIIA/CIA WASHINGTON DC RHEHNSC/NSC WASHINGTON DC UNCLAS SOFIA 001239
STATE FOR EUR DAS BRYZA, EUR/ERA, SA, EUR/NCE, EEB
E.O. 12958: N/A TAGS: EPET, ENRG, BU SUBJECT: REGIONAL ENERGY OFFICERS TRAINING SESSION, DECEMBER 6-7 IN SOFIA
REF: ANKARA 2419 Notal
1. (SBU) As agreed at the Istanbul Regional COM Energy Conference September 21, Embassy Sofia proposes to host a regional energy officers training session December 6-7. The purpose will be to offer training to energy officers on the geopolitics of energy in the European/Caspian region as well as on the fundamentals of pipeline politics, financing and commercial realities. The session will also allow officers to review, discuss, and implement outcomes of the Istanbul conference and to consider and adapt ways to work most effectively together to support U.S. goals in this area.
2. (SBU) Agenda: Post is developing an agenda in cooperation with EEB and EUR/ERA and using input from regional energy officers. The initial agenda envisions a first day of training offered by outside experts (industry, think tanks and EU representations) and a second day of internal talks. Suggestions on the agenda and organization of the discussion are invited and will be helpful over the coming weeks as we put this event together.
3. (SBU) Attendees: This meeting is intended for regional energy officers and key Washington working level staff. Addressee posts include Caspian producer, transit and Nabucco/TGI countries. We have also included key European capitals as well as certain energy producing, consuming and transit countries mentioned, but not present, at the Istanbul Conference. If posts and/or Washington agencies have suggestions of others in the field or in Washington who should be included, please advise. Due to space considerations, we plan on no more than about 35 participants.
4. (U) Schedule: December 6: Energy Training Session from 8:45 to 5:00. December 7: Energy discussions from 8:45 to 4:00 pm.
5. (U) Action: Overseas Posts and Washington invitees are requested to advise on attendance as soon as possible, but no later than November 1. Post will provide more detailed information on the program, accommodations, etc., in early November. Embassy Sofia Action officers are: Kelly Adams-Smith, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, telephone: 359-2-937-5220 and Dina Abaa-Ogley, e-mail: Abaa-Ogleydj@state.gov, telephone: 359-2-937-5252.