94106 1/26/2007 9:34 07HELSINKI51 Embassy Helsinki CONFIDENTIAL 07SECSTATE7434 VZCZCXYZ0000 RR RUEHWEB DE RUEHHE #0051/01 0260934 ZNY CCCCC ZZH R 260934Z JAN 07 FM AMEMBASSY HELSINKI TO RUEHC/SECSTATE WASHDC 2905 INFO RUEHAK/AMEMBASSY ANKARA 0108 RUEHTH/AMEMBASSY ATHENS 0032 RUEHKB/AMEMBASSY BAKU 0008 RUEHRL/AMEMBASSY BERLIN 0179 RUEHSW/AMEMBASSY BERN 1111 RUEHSL/AMEMBASSY BRATISLAVA 0057 RUEHBS/AMEMBASSY BRUSSELS 5495 RUEHBM/AMEMBASSY BUCHAREST 0553 RUEHUP/AMEMBASSY BUDAPEST 0051 RUEHBY/AMEMBASSY CANBERRA 0377 RUEHCP/AMEMBASSY COPENHAGEN 4061 RUEHDL/AMEMBASSY DUBLIN 0063 RUEHIL/AMEMBASSY ISLAMABAD 0185 RUEHBUL/AMEMBASSY KABUL 0035 RUEHLI/AMEMBASSY LISBON 0103 RUEHLO/AMEMBASSY LONDON 0184 RUEHLE/AMEMBASSY LUXEMBOURG 0407 RUEHMD/AMEMBASSY MADRID 1495 RUEHNC/AMEMBASSY NICOSIA 0257 RUEHNY/AMEMBASSY OSLO 4666 RUEHOT/AMEMBASSY OTTAWA 0701 RUEHFR/AMEMBASSY PARIS 0106 RUEHPG/AMEMBASSY PRAGUE 0974 RUEHRK/AMEMBASSY REYKJAVIK 0272 RUEHRA/AMEMBASSY RIGA 0845 RUEHRO/AMEMBASSY ROME 0171 RUEHUL/AMEMBASSY SEOUL 0364 RUEHSQ/AMEMBASSY SKOPJE 0061 RUEHSF/AMEMBASSY SOFIA 0402 RUEHSM/AMEMBASSY STOCKHOLM 8611 RUEHTL/AMEMBASSY TALLINN 4156 RUEHTC/AMEMBASSY THE HAGUE 1375 RUEHTI/AMEMBASSY TIRANA 0104 RUEHKO/AMEMBASSY TOKYO 0349 RUEHVT/AMEMBASSY VALLETTA 0217 RUEHVI/AMEMBASSY VIENNA 4662 RUEHVL/AMEMBASSY VILNIUS 3161 RUEHWR/AMEMBASSY WARSAW 1851 RUEHWL/AMEMBASSY WELLINGTON 0081 RUEHVB/AMEMBASSY ZAGREB 0075 RUEHBS/USEU BRUSSELS RUCNDT/USMISSION USUN NEW YORK 0059 RUEHNO/USMISSION USNATO 0932 C O N F I D E N T I A L HELSINKI 000051
E.O. 12958: DECL: 01/26/2017 TAGS: NATO, PINS, PREL, MARR, MOPS, AF, PK, FI SUBJECT: FINNISH RESPONSE -- FULL COURT PRESS FOR AFGHANISTAN AT JANUARY 26 INFORMAL NATO FOREIGN MINISTERIAL
REF: SECSTATE 7434
Classified By: POLCHIEF GREGORY THOME FOR REASONS 1.4 (B) AND (D)
1. (SBU) PolChief discussed NATO/ISAF's new "Comprehensive Approach" to bolstering the mission in Afghanistan and the Jan. 26 and Feb. 8 NATO ministerials (reftels) with Finnish Roving Ambassador to Afghanistan Antti Koistinen and MFA Director for Security Policy Kimmo Lahdevirta on Jan. 25.
Increased Finnish Assistance
2. (SBU) Koistinen welcomed the rollout of the "Comprehensive Strategy," saying that the GOF shares the concerns of NATO and the US and that the Strategy represents a crucial initiative to undermine any potential spring/summer Taliban initiative. It is very important to take the situation seriously now, he added, because the security situation could be "very hot" come spring. The GOF is particularly focused on the narcotics trade and the funding streams this is creating for Taliban fighters. In response, Finland is seeking to identify good long-term strategies and "also contributing money now," Koistinen added.
3. (SBU) Regarding specific contributions, Lahdevirta explained that Finland intends to maintain its 100-plus troop contribution to PRTs in Meymenah and Mazir-al- Sharif, as well as its Euro 10 million annual reconstruction package through at least 2010. In addition, Finland will:
-- Increase its bilateral contribution to the Law and Order Trust Fund ten fold, from Euros 100,000 to 1 million;
-- make additional contributions (Euro amount TBD) to munitions disposal programs; and
-- provide an additional 10 trainers to a proposed EU police training mission, once the EU approves that initiative.
4. (C) Lahdevirta also indicated that Finland would re-
examine the possibility of contributing non-lethal equipment to either the Afghan National Army or the Afghan National Police. The GOF rejected a US request last year to provide lethal equipment, based domestic political considerations and on a clause in its export control legislation that prevents exporting lethal equipment to "war torn" areas. However, Lahdevirta said that the MOD was now drawing up a plan for consideration by the Cabinet (possibly as soon as February) to contribute non-lethal equipment including generators and communication gear.
5. (C) Finally, Koistinen and Lahdevirta warmly welcomed our reassurances that the US does not intend to cut troops in Afghanistan. "Rumors have indeed been circulating" in Europe regarding US intentions, Lahdevirta said, adding that a clear statement from the US at the Summits reaffirming its commitment in Afghanistan -- in addition to SecDef Gates' recent comments -- would do much to dispel those rumors once and for all. WARE