26002 1/27/2005 15:23 05BUCHAREST258 Embassy Bucharest UNCLASSIFIED//FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY 04STATE244992 This record is a partial extract of the original cable. The full text of the original cable is not available. UNCLAS SECTION 01 OF 02 BUCHAREST 000258
STATE DEPT FOR EUR/NCE - WILLIAM SILKWORTH
E.O. 12958, AS AMENDED: N/A TAGS: EAID, MARR, MASS, PREL, LI, RO SUBJECT: ROMANIAN SUPPORT FOR LIBERIAN MILITARY REFORM
REF: 04 STATE 244992 (AND PREVIOUS) (NOTAL)
SENSITIVE BUT UNCLASSIFIED, PLEASE HANDLE ACCORDINGLY
1. (U) This cable contains an action request for State Department. See paragraph 3.
2. (SBU) Major General Alexandru Grecu delivered January 26 to DAO a letter expressing GOR willingness to provide material assistance to the Liberian armed forces (Reftel). Grecu also provided a detailed list, in both English and Romanian, of items that the MOD proposes to donate to Liberia. Grecu confirmed that the materiel is available for donation now. He requested, however, confirmation that the USG still requests this materiel for the Liberian armed forces. He also requested that the USG provide name and contact information for a working level POC whom the MOD can liaise with regarding delivery.
3. (SBU) Action Request for State Department: Post requests POC information as requested, confirmation regarding the proposed donation and specific instructions if any item(s) are not suitable for donation, such as the non- functional boats.
4. (SBU) The complete texts of the letter and list are set forth below. Post will also fax the letter and list to State Department - EUR/NCE William Silkworth. Full text of the letter follows:
"Romania Ministry of National Defense General Directorate for Defense Intelligence
Bucharest, 25 January, 2005
Ronald Schall Cpt. Cdr. U.S. Navy Naval Attache
Dear Cpt. Cdr. Schall
In response to the US request for Romania to be involved in the international effort of the reconstruction of Liberia, we would really appreciate your assistance in informing the U.S. Department of Defense about the availability of the Romanian Ministry of National Defense to provide the equipment mentioned in the table attached, with the mention that the military ship require major repair and costly work in order to be made operational.
Function of your response, we shall take the necessary steps in order to initiate a Government Decision whereby Romania will provide the respective equipment.
Sincerely, Maj. Gen. Alexandru Grecu Deputy Director General
Annex: 1 table, 2 pages, Unclassified"
End Text of Letter
5. (SBU) Full text of the list follows:
"Situation with the equipment that the Ministry of National Defense can make available to the Liberian Government"
Nr.Crt. Name of equipment M/C Quantity
I. N.C. ROMTEHNICA Provides commercial assistance and is in charge with the exportation formalities
II. ARMY GENERAL STAFF 1. Khaki duck suit pieces 20,000 2. Khaki duck caps pieces 20,000 Observation: all pieces above are new (first category)
III. AIR FORCE GENERAL STAFF 1. Sub-machinegun cal. 7.62 mm, Md. 1963, with common butt pieces 500 2. Pistol cal. 7.62 mm, Md. 1933 pieces 2,066 3. Light machine gun cal. 7.62 mm, Md. 1964 with common butt pieces 100 4. Machine gun cal. 14.5 mm, with 2 modernized ZU-2 barrels pieces 264 5. Machine gun cal. 14.5 mm, with 4 MR-4 barrels pieces 100 6. AG-7, AG-7S grenade launcher pieces 50 7. Cartridge cal. 7.62 mm short bullet steel core, steel tube pieces 751,080 8. Cartridge cal. 7.62 mm short tracer bullet, steel tube pieces 150,480 9. Cartridge cal. 7.62 mm pieces 100,800 10. Cartridge cal. 14.5 mm GPI type B-32, brass tube pieces 7,280 11. Cartridge cal. 14.5 mm GPI type BZT, brass tube pieces 41,440 12. Cartridge cal. 14.5 mm GPI type B-32, brass tube pieces 496,560 13. Cartridge cal. 14.5 mm GPI type BZT, brass tube pieces 931,440 14. Cartridge cal. 14.5 mm GPI type MDZ, brass tube pieces 278,560 15. PG-7 shell for AG-7 pieces 2,742 16. Khaki summer suits pieces 1,480 17. Khaki thick cloth suit pieces 500 18. Khaki thick cloth cloaks pieces 140 19. Black belts pieces 1,000 20. Khaki blouses pieces 16,000 21. Khaki summer caps pieces 1,480 22. Khaki winter caps pieces 500 Observation: figures for items 7 to 15 are multiple of full boxes
IV. NAVY GENERAL STAFF 1. Hydrofoil torpedo boat pieces 2 2. Missile carrier boat pieces 3 3. Torpedo boat pieces 3 Observation: They are not functional and require serious repair work to be used.
V. JOINT LOGISTIC COMMANDMENT 1. Khaki cloth cap pieces 2,000 2. Khaki training summer shirt pieces 2,000 3. Khaki training cloth trousers pieces 2,000 4. Khaki training cloth blouse pieces 2,000 5. Light blue T-shirt pieces 5,000 6. Dark blue kitbag pieces 1,000 7. Dark blue food-stuff bag pieces 1,000 8. Metal Romanian helmet (without arms) pieces 2,000 Observation: all items are first category.
END TEXT OF LIST
6. (U) Amembassy Bucharest's reporting telegrams are available on the Bucharest SIPRNET Website: www.state.sgov.gov/p/eur/bucharest.